One's History

Aitana peered out the conference door and quickly whirled away when she saw the last of the team coming through, her wide eyes a sign that she'd nearly been caught.

"Who you see, spicy sprinkles?" Morgan was smiling with bemusement as the brunette hurriedly made her way to her seat beside Penelope.

"Just Prentiss, Hotch and Rossi," Aitana said, "And, uh, I don't know about anyone else but does it seem like Prentiss is a bit...unusual?" She had tried her best to ignore the subtle signs, mind her own business as she often said to others. She didn't know Emily enough to know if what she was seeing was truly unusual for her but in the end, her concern got the best of her.

While nobody answered her straightaway, Aitana was skilled enough to notice the subtle shifts in the others' faces. Penelope was the only one who didn't know how to hide her agreement. Seaver being the only one who was completely in the dark, looked around much like Aitana had. Before anybody could answer her, because Aitana was sure that Morgan had a thing or two to say, Hotch strode into the room with the others.

"Let's get started," he quickly said as they gathered around.

"Alright," Aitana cleared her throat, slightly flustered when she saw Emily. Her last intention was to talk behind people's backs-that was so high school and Emily didn't even deserve that. "Okay, so Molly Grandin, 25 years old, has been missing approximately 24 hours." Penelope flicked on the television behind them. "Her car was found abandoned in a strip mall parking lot."

"Syracuse police chief just called me to tell me that 4 months ago another woman, Gail Langston, also 25, went missing," Hotch remarked, letting everyone know how the case truly landed on them.

Penelope switched the pictures around to show the first victim. "Gail's body washed up 3 days later in Onondaga Lake. She'd been held captive, her hands and feet smashed, and then she was stabbed to death."

"Her car was found in the same parking lot as Molly Grandin's," Hotch said.

"Other than abandoned cars, what makes them think it's the same offender?" asked Emily.

"Umm, both women packed a bag with enough clothes and toiletries to last them for the weekend, and in both cases, the bags were found in the car along with their purses and cell phones," Aitana explained. "Which means that if the unsub is sticking to the same M. O., Molly only has 36 hours left."

"Let's go. The plane awaits," Hotch said, prompting the others to start gathering their things to leave.

~ 0 ~

As soon as the plane took off, the files were opened and discussions began. As far as they knew, and that Penelope knew, there was no connection between Molly Grandin and Gail Langston.

"But that doesn't mean they didn't have much in common," remarked Aitana. Her file remained closed on the table between her, Emily, Spencer and Seaver. She'd already gone over it extensively after Hotch presented the case to her. "Take a look at their school records." Spencer hummed in agreement beside her. He was already doing that.

"It's in their way of being too," Seaver remarked, though it appeared she hadn't meant to based on her widened eyes.

Emily, who sat beside her, nudged her to keep going. "What's the first thing that jumps out at you?" she prompted.

Seaver took another look at the photographs in front of her. She knew it wasn't Emily's intention to put her on the spot. She had to learn and Emily had been kind enough to make herself her overseer. "Um, their body types are both small, but it's not just physical. They both shy away from the camera and clearly don't enjoy being photographed. Both easily overpowered and controlled." Everyone around them seemed to agree with the comments which made it easier for Seaver to breathe again.