A Magician

"Now it really feels like Harry Potter."

————-««»»————

Aitana felt utterly guilty having to miss the preliminary presentation of the newest case, but nobody would make it harder on her by being stingy about it. Her classes for the new quarter were slightly more overwhelming than the first.

"I promise I will get my act together," she declared once they were in the jet. She was quick to look over the file Penelope so graciously put together for her at the BAU.

"You're fine, Aitana," Emily rubbed Aitana's arm comfortingly on her way to an empty seat. Aitana hadn't even sat down, instead choosing to lean against the side of an empty seat to read the file.

They were heading to Kansas, right to the center of tornadoes, something Aitana silently dreaded. She was not one for tornadoes of any kind.

"If this unsub is using tornadoes as a forensic countermeasure, then Kansas certainly is the ideal setting," said Morgan.

"Tornadoes do pose a significant threat," Spencer chimed in, "During this year's super outbreak back in April, there were 336 confirmed tornadoes in just several days, resulting in over 300 lives lost."

"Hey!" Penelope's face popped on the monitor behind them.

"Tell us something good, mama," Morgan said, though he knew there wasn't much to say on this matter.

"Ok, so local P. D. Have ID'd your victims. I'm putting this all on your tablets if you'd like to follow along." Penelope gave them a couple seconds to gather the tablets before continuing. "First up is Jason Meredith, 16-year-old runaway from Garden City, Kansas. Mom said he took off over a year ago. Next up is Eric Janelle, 15-year-old foster kid from Wichita. He's been gone 3 weeks. Oh, both of these kids have records for possession and prostitution."

"They were street hustlers," Rossi remarked. "At-risk kids. This could be a sexual predator."

"An extremely violent one if the unsub is responsible for the damage done to the bodies, especially those missing limbs," Hotch said.

"Well, now, he could be keeping the body parts for some sort of fetish," JJ theorized, prompting Penelope to audibly gag.

"Oh, ok, eew! That is my cue. I'm here if you need me with my binary machines that don't say gross things!" And with that, Penelope signed off.

Just as the team began to put their tablets down, a decent turbulence rocked the jet. Aitana nearly slipped from her comfortable spot. It happened twice after that. Rossi even felt the need to do a silent prayer for their sake.

"I didn't know you were a bad flyer," JJ said, noting how pale Rossi had gone in these last minutes.

"I'm not. I just hate turbulence," Rossi clarified.

"You know, turbulence very rarely causes planes to crash," said Spencer, although Rossi still didn't loosen up.

"That does me absolutely no good at the moment. Thank you."

Spencer didn't let Rossi have a moment to rest before he started spewing out some facts. "What we really need to worry about are microbursts, sudden downbursts of air associated with thunderstorms. But a small craft like this, if we hit one of those at the wrong altitude —" He mimicked the sound of a crash,, going as far as gesturing it with a hand as well, "—pulverized."

Rossi was downright terrified with what he was hearing. The others were close to laughing. "I beg of you to make him stop," he pleaded with JJ sitting beside Spencer.