Okay in the End

It was evening at the BAU and it seemed like everyone might just make it out at a decent time tonight. Morgan had already taken off to meet some "honey" and Emily had been nearly behind. Spencer remained at his desk, finishing up a few more papers while Penelope and Aitana discussed potential cases in the latter's office. Rossi and Hotch had been in Hotch's office for the past half hour discussing, though judging by the day that was tomorrow, Spencer had a good suspicion about what the topic of that conversation was about. He would prefer to stick his nose in his paperwork than be a part of that conversation. He only looked up when he heard Penelope's voice carrying out. She was leaving Aitana's office with her usual solo-rambles about the 'to do list' she apparently had going on.

"You're still here," Penelope said once she caught sight of him at his desk. "Course you are. You're Boy Wonder, you don't need sleep cos you're super!" Spencer smiled as she raised a fist into the air. Penelope stopped by with a decent sized pile of papers in her hands.

"Lots of cases?" Spencer noted.

Penelope drummed her fingers along the edges of the papers. She hummed. "Something like that. Sprinkles over there couldn't keep her attention on this for more than 5 minutes. That's really unlike her."

Spencer glanced at Aitana's opened office. "Really?"

Penelope nodded. "I wanted to ask her what was wrong but I didn't want to go poking my nose this time. I'm trying to stop that with her right now."

A light smile came to Spencer's face. "Really?" Penelope pointed at him, eyes narrowed and warning him not to go using that sarcasm on him. His smile may have spread. "Sorry."

Penelope decided she was too tired to continue with him. "Have a wonderful night."

"Bye," Spencer gave a weak wave as the blonde hustled out of the bullpen. He spent a minute thinking about what Penelope had said about Aitana. He looked over to her office. He could see her putting things in her bag, getting ready to leave. She was in a hurry but even from his spot, Spencer could see her grim expression.

Ever since the case with Seaver, Aitana had been at opposite sides with herself. One moment she was confident about what she was doing, whether it was another press conference or an interview, but then the next moment she was back to doubting herself. She requested supervision when she interviewed families. Even talking to the local precincts became harder. It was a sight to see considering how far Aitana had come since her arrival to the BAU.

He was startled in his seat when Aitana came out of her office in a hasty walk, much like Penelope had earlier. Soon as she saw him, her lips curved into a smile; always polite she was.

"Have a good night," she said just as she walked past.

"Hey Aitana?" Spencer called before he even considered how he might go about his next words.

She stopped to look back. "Yeah?"

"Uuh, are you...are you doing okay?" That may not have been the best question he could have formed. He made a face once he realized how incredibly dull and vague it actually was.

"Yeah, of course," Aitana still went ahead and answered him anyway. She even seemed confused that he'd asked her. "Are you?" If anything, he might be starting a conversation because he wasn't entirely okay.

"Good, yeah," Spencer awkwardly cleared his throat. If he didn't say something quick and smart, he was going to lose the opportunity. Being 'smart' is what he did best! "I was just wondering if you were still upset...about the case with Seaver?" Clearly she was, he just needed a way in.

Aitana's shoulders shrugged awkwardly, like even she wasn't sure what to feel. "I, um, it's been a week."

"Yeah but you haven't exactly been yourself since that case."