What Happens at Home...

Aitana pushed the double-set doors open and was immediately greeted by the sweet scent of bread. She crossed the room, coming up to the counter where an older woman was busy keeping tabs on the recent purchases.

"Buenos dias," Aitana expected her mother's surprised look in return but it was a pleasantly surprised expression. Aitana only just started dropping by the bakery and each time she did, her parents couldn't get over it. They were getting their daughter back, piece by piece but surely.

Pamela Serrano hurried around the counter to hug her daughter. "Good morning!"

"Where's Dad?" Aitana noted there were only a few customers around. It was pretty early.

"In the back," Pamela made a quick gesture to the door behind the counter. "What brings you around?"

Aitana shrugged. The best thing about seeing her parents again is that she didn't have to have a reason. She just wanted to see them and that was it. "On my way to work and I thought I'd stop by. Is that okay?"

"Of course!" Pamela exclaimed, giving Aitana another hug.

The latter chuckled. "Mom..."

"I'm sorry," Pamela pulled back. She patted Aitana's arms then stepped back. "It's just so good having you around again. I know that job of yours is a lot tougher than what you used to do but I'm so thankful that you're there. It's because of those people that you started acting like you used to..."

Aitana's lips pulled a small smile. "It's progress," she nodded.

"But of course it's not just because it's been. Ultimately it's you who's making these decisions. And I'm just so proud of you sweetheart!"

"Thanks Mom," Aitana said with a flushed face. No matter what she could always count on her mother to feel good about the simplest things she did.

"There she is!" Her father, Javier, emerged from the backroom. "I thought I heard your voice."

"Hi Dad," Aitana hugged him and laughed when his cinnamon scent was just a tad too much for her nose. "Baking something cinnamon-y today?"

"Pan de canela," he said proudly. "Is that what you came for?"

"No, I just came to see you that's all," Aitana shrugged, her face sheepish the more she repeated herself. "Is that okay? Or were you busy?"

"Never for you!" He took her into another hug. Just like always, she clung to him. She didn't realize how much she missed her parents until she came back to them. Things weren't back to normal but they weren't the same either. Things were a little better than what they used to be. And with time, they might get back to normal...or at least a new normal for her.

But for right now, Aitana would focus on the hugs of her parents.

~0~

Aitana arrived at the BAU just as they were gathering in the conference room. "Good morning," she chirped, an act that was immediately noted by the others. "I have a special breakfast for everybody!" Because she was waving a pink box in her hands.

"Somebody woke up on the right sight of the bed today," Morgan smiled; it widened when Aitana snapped her fingers at him.

"Yup!" She planted the box in the middle of the table. "Fresh pan dulce for everyone!"

"Oh, that sounds good," Emily rubbed her stomach. She was getting a whiff of that sweetness even before Aitana flipped the box open.

"What's the occasion?" Penelope's eyes were following every movement that had to do with the box.