Nearing the End

"You really should stop making promises to them like that," Angel said as soon as Aitana finished her phone call with her mother.

She put her phone down on the kitchen counter and propped her elbows to rest her cheeks over her fists. "I can't help it. She asked if I wanted to stop by for dinner."

"Not me?" Angel flashed her a cheeky smile.

Aitana rolled her eyes at him. "This is a girl's night out. Least it's supposed to be if I can make it."

Angel hummed as he went looking through the cabinets for his usual mug. "That job of yours doesn't exactly let you make plans in advance. Why would you promise her you could make it on Sunday?"

"Because it's only a couple days away and maybe this time might be different?"

Angel paused as he took his mug out. He peered around the cabinet door to smirk at Aitana. "Se vale soñar."

Aitana frowned at him. "I can too dare to dream and I dream that this weekend, I will get to spend time with my mother!"

Of course only two minutes later, she got a call from Penelope with an odd case. When Aitana hung up, Angel already had his coffee prepared and was standing on other side of the counter with a stupid smug face.

"Not a word!" Aitana warned him as she got out of her stool.

Angel started laughing when she rushed out of the kitchen to get ready. Sometimes, she made it too easy for him. Aitana hurriedly put on the first thing she saw in the closet and was out the door in half an hour. What Penelope had found was a terrible case yet with some unusual details.

"I didn't interrupt your morning, did I?" Penelope said when Aitana strode into her office. By this point, Aitana wasn't surprised to find Penelope making herself at home in her office. She had her laptop set up on the desk with a couple of hard copy files beside her.

"Don't worry about it, two more minutes and I may have murdered Angel," Aitana said as she dropped her bag over the desk.

"Trouble?" Penelope quirked an eyebrow. She should probably keep her nose out of Aitana's love life but Morgan made it very hard to ignore the signs of their resident genius' little affections. It wasn't like she wished any trouble for Aitana in her relationship but if said relationship wasn't going well, then...all's fair in love and war, right? Does that apply even though it's not exactly love?

"Penelope?" Aitana unknowingly pulled the blonde out of her thoughts that were admittedly getting away from her.

"Huh?"

Aitana smiled lightly. "Are you alright there?"

"Me? Yeah! Course! But this case is not!" Penelope plopped down on her chair. "And I really think we should present it to the others already. I may have already called them in."

Aitana chuckled. "You are the best partner I could ask for."

Penelope beamed. "It's always so easy working with you." They shared another laugh. It was funny how they slowly fell into sync when it came to working together after starting out on a rough patch.

~ 0 ~

"Two DC homes torched, two families, on the same night, last night." Aitana brought up individual pictures on the screen of each of their victims. She preferred to leave the charred corpses on the hard copies for Penelope's sake.

"I'm surprised it still hasn't hit the news. It's already mid-day," Morgan remarked what the others thought as soon as they saw the file.

"Yeeah," Aitana held onto the remote a little tighter while her body leaned back. "It was the first thing Garcia noticed when she caught the case." Penelope hummed in agreement. "I know that I've only been here a couple months but don't these cases usually attract huge media?"