32| I haven't even started yet

I closed my book with a contented sigh, feeling the exhaustion really sink in

I closed my book with a contented sigh, feeling the exhaustion really sink in. Been at it since the afternoon, and now the evening sun was casting long shadows across my tired brain. Even though I was beat, it felt good knowing I'd made some headway with my studies.

My phone started chiming with a catchy ringtone, so I glanced over at the nightstand. I got up, grabbed my phone, and saw Adwait's name lighting up the screen.

My stomach did a weird twist, and my heart started pounding like crazy, which totally threw me off. I nervously chewed on my bottom lip, stuck between whether to pick up or just let it go. Right when I couldn't decide, the call cut off suddenly, leaving me feeling relieved but that relief didn't last long though, because a few seconds later, the phone rang again.

Taking a deep breath, I swiped right and cautiously brought the phone to my ear.

I hadn't even had a chance to exchange pleasantries when he swiftly presented his query. "It has been two days, Nitya. You haven't been responding to my texts. Why?"

I stayed quiet, lips sealed tight, unable to find any words through the haze of uncertainty clouding my mind.

"Did I mess up somewhere? Are you mad at me?" He asked with worry.

I shook my head softly, even though I knew he couldn't see me. Ever since I got back from the fest, this feeling of unease had been sitting heavy in my heart. But how could I explain exactly why? Could I bring myself to admit I was feeling insecure about his relationship with Niharika?

No, I had no rightful claim to express such concerns.

"Please, Sweetheart. Say something," I heard the desperation lacing his voice, causing tears to well up in my eyes.

It was this very aspect, born out of my own doing, that made me despise myself.

I took a deep breath and pulled the phone away from my ear, needing a moment to gather my thoughts and calm down. Bringing it back to my ear, I spoke up, "No, Adwait. It's not like that at all. Everything's okay. I've just had a lot going on." I lied.

There was a short pause in our chat, neither of us saying a thing. Then, he broke, saying, "I need to see you right now."

"What?" I asked, totally confused by his sudden urgency to meet me right then and there.

We got a two-day break from university because of the fest, so I was stuck at home and couldn't go anywhere.

"Sorry, Adwait, but I can't," I said, feeling a bit let down. "I don't have any reason to leave the house, and what would I tell my mother? No, I just can't meet you." I hoped he'd understand the situation I was in.

"Just come outside. I am standing right outside your house," he revealed, causing my eyes to widen in surprise.

"Whatttt!!!!" My voice involuntarily rose.