Chapter 22: Return

Karluk and Amira returned to their home, their horses laden with gifts from Umak and his family. The courtyard came alive with excitement as the Ayhon family gathered around to welcome them back.

"We're back!" Karluk's voice rang out as he entered the bustling courtyard.

Seleke, with a warm smile on her face, greeted them, "Welcome back!"

The young sons of Seleke, full of energy and enthusiasm, rushed forward to welcome their beloved uncle and aunt.

Amira's eyes sparkled with delight as she observed the lively scene unfolding before her. "It's good to be home," she whispered to Karluk.

Seleke, her gaze shifting to the heavily laden horses, exclaimed, "My! That's a lot of luggage!"

Chickens pecked and clucked in the yard, basking in the warm sunshine, adding to the idyllic atmosphere.

Sanira, curious about the abundance of gifts, approached Karluk. "Isn't there more than when you left? Did you get all this from Uncle Umak?"

Karluk beamed proudly and nodded. "Sure did. They're wedding gifts, he said. Umak and his family were so generous and thoughtful."

Karluk's grandfather appeared as Karluk was in the midst of unloading the luggage. His arrival brought a sense of warmth and familiarity to the bustling courtyard.

"Oh, you're back!" the old man exclaimed with a smile, his eyes twinkling with delight. "How's everyone doing? What did Umak have to tell?"

Karluk's face lit up upon seeing his beloved grandfather. "They're all doing fine!" he replied cheerfully. "Umak said he'd come to see us sometime before too long. And he asked me to tell Father thanks for the scabbard he made."

Karluk glanced around the courtyard, searching for his father's presence. "Oh? Where is he?" he inquired.

Mahatbek's gaze shifted towards the horizon. "Ah, he's at a community meeting at the neighbors," he explained. "He won't be long. You know how these gatherings can stretch."

As Karluk continued unloading the gifts, Amira presented the pomegranates to the people gathered in the courtyard. Her eyes lit up with excitement. "Pomegranates!" she exclaimed, her voice filled with joy. Her nephews, enchanted by the vibrant fruits, couldn't contain their excitement and cheered in delight.

Sanira approached her son with a questioning look. "Did Umak give you pomegranates as wedding gifts?"

Karluk chuckled and shook his head. "No, those are from Amira."