Chapter 53: Encounters

"How long will you be staying?" Mr. Smith inquired, peering at the stranger with a curious glint in his eyes. "I'd like to send him a reply after I read this."

"I'll wait," the stranger responded calmly. "That's what he instructed me to do."

As the exchange unfolded, murmurs spread through the neighborhood, whispers of speculation punctuating the air. It wasn't every day that a stranger graced their quiet streets.

"Have you decided where you're going to stay while you're here?" a neighbor piped up, unable to contain their intrigue.

"Not yet," the stranger admitted, casting a thoughtful glance around.

"If not, then come over to our place," another neighbor interjected eagerly, their hospitality overflowing.

The offer sparked a flurry of voices, each household vying for the honor of hosting the enigmatic visitor. In this close-knit community, news from the outside world was a rare treasure, worth more than gold.

"But it's obvious that he came to visit my house," declared Akunbek, Karluk's father, stepping forward with conviction. "So clearly, he should stay with us."

The neighbors exchanged glances, momentarily taken aback by Akunbek's assertiveness. Yet, in their hearts, they knew he spoke the truth.

"My thanks," the stranger, Nikolovsky, expressed with a nod of appreciation as he settled comfortably among the cushions of Akunbek and Mahatbek's courtyard. The gentle clinking of teacups filled the air as the women served tea, adding to the serene atmosphere.

"Make yourself at home," Akunbek urged warmly, his hospitality extending beyond mere words. Yet, beneath the surface pleasantries lay a deeper curiosity, a desire to glean insights from the stranger's experiences.

"Tell me, how are things in the outlying regions lately?" Akunbek inquired, his tone betraying a hint of concern.

"It's all quite..." Nikolovsky began cautiously, choosing his words with care. "Unsettled, I'd say. Things are pretty bad around the steppes."

Akunbek's brow furrowed slightly at the confirmation of his suspicions. "So it's as I thought," he mused aloud, his thoughts already racing ahead to the implications of Nikolovsky's report. "How far have the Russians advanced? How are things around Baghdad?"

From their concealed vantage point within the house, Tileke and her brothers, Torkan, Chalg, and little Rostem, observed the adults conversing with keen interest. It wasn't every day that a stranger from beyond the city's borders graced their home, and their curiosity burned brightly.

"Behave yourself," their mother, Seleke, admonished in a hushed tone, sensing the children's eagerness to eavesdrop. With a mischievous twinkle in their eyes, the children scampered away obediently, though their curiosity remained unabated.

"No, no, it's fine," Akunbek interjected, a warm smile softening his features as he motioned for the children to approach. "These are my grandchildren. Come and greet our guest."

The children hesitated for a moment before bowing politely before Nikolovsky. "Nice to meet you," they chorused in unison, their voices a blend of curiosity and politeness.

Nikolovsky, towering and stoic, regarded the children with a gentle smile that softened the lines of his weathered face. "Good to meet you as well," he replied warmly, his eyes twinkling with a hint of nostalgia. "Your granddaughter looks like my own daughter when she was young."