Chapter 43: Call to Arms

The atmosphere in the Eihon residence was tense when a man from the city burst through the doors. His words hung in the air, carrying a sense of imminent danger. "Here they come," he announced, his voice laced with urgency.

Akunbek, the patriarch of the Eihon family, rose to his feet, his face etched with determination. "I figured they'd come back," he muttered, his resolve unyielding.

Amongst the gathered elders, one voice expressed a hope that was swiftly dashed. "I was hoping they'd give up and go home," he lamented. "I guess they're not the easygoing type."

Inside the Eihons' home, a sea of villagers had assembled, their presence a testament to the unwavering support for the family. The young men of Khiva, brimming with determination, were preparing themselves for the impending conflict.

"Well, if that's what they want, we'll have to give it to them," Akunbek declared, his words carrying a resolute tone.

Amidst the commotion, Karluk, filled with a mixture of frustration and determination, approached his father. "Father! Let me--"

However, his words were swiftly intercepted, cut off by his father's stern decree. "Forget it, Karluk! You are to stay here, sheltered amongst the women and children. This battle is not meant for you."

Karluk's face contorted with a mixture of disappointment and a gnawing sense of inadequacy. At only twelve years old, he was a newlywed, thrust into adulthood prematurely. Yet, in his father's eyes, he was still perceived as a child, shielded from the perils of the outside world.

Karluk let out a heavy sigh, his heart burdened by his father's refusal to allow him to join the battle. However, if he couldn't defend Amira on the outside, he vowed to protect her from within the walls of their home. There had to be something he could do, some way to shield her from the encroaching darkness.

As he ventured through the halls, his searching gaze fell upon a heart-wrenching sight. Amira, his beloved wife, sat huddled with Balkirsh, his grandmother. Tears streamed down Amira's face, her anguish filling the air. They had barely savored moments of tranquility since their escape from her oppressive family.

"Aterui..." Amira's voice quivered with sorrow. "To think Aterui... She was so vibrant, so full of life... It's unfathomable... She has never been plagued by illness... This is not like her..."

Balkirsh listened attentively. Her voice carried a mixture of empathy and outrage. "The Numaji, eh?" she uttered with a hint of disdain. "I've heard tales of their violent and barbaric nature. Fear not, Amira. You are our bride, and I swear we will never allow you to be taken to such a place."

Karluk's fists clenched, his resolve intensifying. Amira's well-being was his responsibility, regardless of his age or his father's perception.