Chapter 44: Shadows

The moon cast an eerie glow upon the deserted city, its streets shrouded in an unsettling silence. Azel, his senses heightened, urged his horse forward with caution. He knew the precise location of the Eihon residence. Every fiber of his being tingled with anticipation, for danger lurked in the shadows.

Joruk questioned the ominous atmosphere. "What's the matter? Are we walking into an ambush?" His voice betrayed a sense of fear.

Azel's gaze swept across the abandoned streets, a perplexed frown on his face. "No, it's not an ambush."

Joruk, ever observant, surveyed the vacant cityscape. "So, there's no one here? It's rather careless of them, isn't it? Not that it should concern us."

Their horses' hooves echoed through the deserted streets as they ventured deeper into the abandoned city. Soon, Turlan and his riders joined their silent procession, their presence a testament to their shared determination. The air hung heavy with anticipation, a prelude to the impending confrontation.

Suddenly, a voice pierced the night, resonating from above. "Now! Get them!"

Azel's instincts kicked into overdrive as he looked up, his eyes widening with alarm. Figures materialized on the rooftops, their silhouettes blending with the darkness. Before Azel could react, bricks rained down upon them, a treacherous assault from above.

The chaos erupted, mingling with the pained cries of his comrades. Joruk's arm bore the brunt of a brutal impact, his anguished cry echoing through the night. 

Far away, in the heart of the Eihons' residence, the echoes of yells and cries for help pierced through the air, painting a somber backdrop of chaos in the streets. Amira and Karluk found themselves in the seclusion of their bedroom, the distant turmoil reaching their ears. Karluk stood by the window, his gaze searching for answers amidst the darkness that engulfed the city.

As Karluk's eyes scanned the uncertain landscape, his attention shifted to Amira, who sat on a pillow nearby. Her trembling form mirrored the fear that gripped his own heart. The realization dawned upon him—his wife was terrified.

Without hesitation, Karluk crossed the room, his steps tentative yet purposeful. He joined Amira, taking a seat beside her, his presence offering a silent solace. It was then that she reached out, pulling him close, her tears dampening the fabric of his clothing.

Surprised by her sudden display of vulnerability, Karluk's heart skipped a beat. "Huh? What's wrong?" he gasped. He sat there, enveloped in the warmth of her embrace, unsure of how to ease her anguish.

Amira clung to him, her tears flowing freely, seeking refuge in the safety of his embrace. Karluk's heart ached, torn between the duty he felt as a man to defend their home and the overwhelming need to comfort his wife.

"It's all right, Amira," Karluk's voice quivered with tenderness as he gently reached out and touched her trembling arm. "It'll be all right."