Chapter 39: Distraction

Mr. Smith crouched behind the tree, his heart pounding in his chest as he watched Azel, Amira's brother, approach. The last encounter with Azel had left an indelible mark on Mr. Smith's memory, filling him with trepidation. Determined not to be seen, he concealed himself further, hoping to avoid any confrontation.

Azel's gaze softened as he reached out to touch the muzzle of Amira's horse, a bittersweet familiarity evident in his actions. Sensing something amiss, he glanced back and discovered Amira, her tear-stained face etched with sorrow. Without hesitation, he rode toward her, offering her the solace of her horse. "Come, Amira. Let's ride."

Amira let out a deep sigh, her turmoil palpable. This couldn't be the end, not like this. Yet, the weight of the situation held her captive, tearing at the fibers of her resolve.

While Mr. Smith remained concealed, another figure caught his attention—a weathered old man mounted on a donkey, passing by, accompanied by a flock of sheep. Curiosity piqued, the old man observed the unfolding scene, his eyes filled with perplexity.

"What's happening here?" the old man murmured, his voice laced with confusion. "Are they ganging up on that kid?"

An idea flickered in Mr. Smith's mind, a daring plan forming amidst his trepidation. Seizing the opportunity, he cautiously approached the old man, his voice filled with urgency. "I've spent considerable time in these lands, and I can sense trouble brewing," Mr. Smith confided, attempting to forge a connection with the bewildered local. "In dire situations, one must be prepared to step outside the boundaries of convention to protect what matters most."

The old man's brows furrowed. "What are you on about, son?" 

With a trembling hand, Mr. Smith removed a cloth on his head, revealing his anxious face, and conjured the courage to speak his plan aloud. "I must distract them, divert their attention," he whispered, his words laden with urgency. "

As fear mingled with determination, Mr. Smith raised his voice, unleashing an unexpected burst of energy. "HO!" he exclaimed, his cry piercing the air. "GYAA!"

The sudden eruption caught the attention of the unsuspecting sheep, disrupting their tranquil grazing. Panic ensued as the once-orderly flock scattered in disarray, their collective bleating filling the air.

Whip in hand, Mr. Smith, driven by a desperate resolve, lashed at the unsuspecting sheep with his makeshift instrument, urging them to flee towards Amira and Karluk. The old shepherd, taken aback by this bewildering act, shouted in bewilderment and anger, unable to comprehend the foreigner's erratic behavior.

"Are you out of your mind?!" the old shepherd bellowed, his voice tinged with fury. "What in the hell are you doing!?"

Meanwhile, Karluk, Amira, and the riders turned their attention skyward, their faces etched with surprise and confusion, as an overwhelming tide of sheep surged toward them with unbridled force.

"What madness is this?!" one of the riders exclaimed, his voice tinged with disbelief. A startled horse reared up, its rider losing balance and tumbling to the ground.

Amidst the chaos, Amira and Karluk found themselves caught in a maelstrom of bleating, scrambling sheep, the scene resembling a surreal symphony of wool and hooves. The sheer unexpectedness of the situation created a momentary respite, diverting attention from their captive predicament.

In the midst of the chaotic stampede, Amira's eyes widened with hope as she saw a fleeting opportunity to break free from Azel's grip. Seizing the moment, she swiftly veered away from her captor, her heart pounding in her chest.

Amidst the commotion, Karluk's voice rang out with urgency, echoing through the tumultuous air. "Arakura!" he called out, summoning his faithful steed. The horse, sensing its master's urgency, galloped towards him with unwavering loyalty.

With adrenaline coursing through their veins, Karluk and Amira raced towards each other, their eyes locked in determination. As their paths converged, Karluk stretched out his hand, a lifeline extended towards his dear wife. In a graceful motion, Amira grabbed his hand, her trust in him unwavering, and with a swift movement, she effortlessly swung her legs over the horse's rear, finding herself securely seated behind Karluk.

The couple then wasted no time. Karluk urged Arakura forward, his steed responding with unwavering speed and agility. Together, they navigated through the tumultuous landscape, leaving their pursuers behind.

Turlan, his gaze fixed upon the fleeing couple, a mix of frustration and disbelief etched upon his face, realized that their escape was a reality he had not anticipated. As the distance between them grew, the couple faded into a mere speck on the horizon, their determination and resilience echoing in the wind.