𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄

HAILE MICHELLE LYNNATL, GA

HAILE MICHELLE LYNN
ATL, GA.

" Thanks for coming by, Moriah."I say, opening the door wider as she walks inside. The smell of cinnamon and chocolate waft my nose, her fragrances always smelling good.

She nods her head, dropping her Marc Jacobs bag onto the floor as she pulled down her fitted dress. " Of course mama, I came as soon as you called."

I close the door behind her, then locked it. I lay against the door, feeling her eyes on my back. Her jewelry clinked together as we walked towards me, pulling me softly by my arm. " Tell me what's wrong, Haile." She whispered.

I shrugged, my voice beginning to crack. " Nothing, I-I'm fine."

Moriah sighs, grabbing my hand and walking us to my bedroom. Shilo is sprawled out, snoring ever so softly. I clear my throat, trying to rid myself of the lump that was beginning to rise at the back of my throat.

She closes the door, sitting both of us down at the edge of the bed. she slides off her sandals, her neon pink toes and anklets shimmering under the ultraviolet lights coming from my lamp.

" Michelle," Moriah says sternly, grabbing my face in her hands. " I can't help you unless you talk to me."

" R-Riah," I quivered, my bottom lip trembling. " I'm trying, I-I'm really trying my b-best right n-now."

Her gaze softens, wiping my tears that was beginning to flow. " I know baby, I know."

" I-It's Nona," I began, more tears beginning to flow, " I went to visit her l-last week a-and the doctor... s-she said that Nona doesn't have a lot of time left. S-She told me to start making funeral arrangements."'

I clenched my fists, " A-And I don't want to think about that, you know? Nona is the only family I have left- J-Javon and Aunt Amalia d-don't care about Nona like I do and it makes me mad, Moriah."

Moriah kissed my temple, placing my head in the crook of her neck as she rocked us back and forth. " I know how much she means to you, mama, and I know you don't want to think about stuff like that."

A sob leaves my lips, " I-I don't want to lose her, Riah. S-She's the only person I-In my life t-that sees me, no matter h-how many t-times I h-have to remind her of who I-I am."

" Shh, it's okay," She reassured, holding me closer. I cry in her arms, breaking down my walls; revealing just how broken I truly felt. Nona was still on this earth, but to hear Dr. Moore tell me to prepare for her death? It made me so mad.