Chapter 32 - Obstacles

"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." ~Henry Ford

•••••••

Harry leaned against the headboard, covering his pale stricken and shocked face with his hands, visible anger coursing through his veins. I sat back and realized I could handle this situation; a.) I could stay and comfort him and the boys or b.) do my job.

I needed to breath, and I couldn't do so while being stuck in this gigantic house under the sheets with the soon-to-be victim of my career. Why had I let myself fall so deep? I should've just stayed in the shallow end of our relationship and not have dived into the dangerous deep end.

Gwen would kill me if I didn't use this to my advantage, I had to call her immediately...I mean that's why I'm here anyways right?

"Do you want to talk about this?" I asked him and he stayed silent.

He closed his eyes and sighed deeply, his inked torso lifting and resting back onto the white sheets below with each breath.

"I need some time alone, can we do a rain check on dinner?" He snapped and got up, walking to the bathroom and leaving me alone in the room.

Bewildered, I got up and tossed back on my clothes and embarrassingly crept out of the house. When I got outside I inhaled the air and put my face in my hands.

Grabbing my phone out of my pocket I dialed a number,"Hey Aunt Marie, something important came up and we ant make it for dinner, I'm so sorry it's just- ugh- it's complicated. Anyways I love you and call me back, bye." I spoke and hung up.

I went into my contacts and hovered my finger over the call button.

I pressed down on my screen and held the phone to my ear,"CLARA! DARLING!" Gwen's bright voice quipped through the line.

"Hi Gwen...this might not be my big break but I have an important story regarding One Direction." I said slowly and in a low voice, fearing that one of the boys might momentarily appear and blow my cover.

"I knew you'd pull through, so what's it?" She asked.

"Zayn...he's quit One Direction." I said and held the phone away from my ear as she shrieked with audacious glee.

"Come down to the office immediately!!!!!" She said and hung up.

I placed my phone back into my pocket, and with one final glance at Harry's house, I got in a cab and drove to work.

•••••••

"So we've already sold the story to multiple magazines, People is loving it- it's made their cover! It's the newest breaking news!" She said and showed me a rough draft for the magazine's cover.

I gasped,"Wow," was all I could manage. I started this...

"Yeah, wow's correct! Clara do you know how rich you've made yourself?" She asked and I shook my head.

"I say you go back to your dorm and get dressed and meet us at Appletinis in 15!" She squealed with delight and shooed me out of her office.

I walked back to campus and to my dorm, walking down the hallway and taking out my keys.

I walked inside and reached my closet, putting on a new dress and heels.

"Looks like you'll be making an appearance tonight," I said to them, for once actually wearing the scrappy skyscrapers.

I fixed my makeup and checked the clock,"Ready to go!"

Just as I opened my door, a distraught Harry stood with his phone out to me, the bright Scarlett headline reading "ONE DIRECTION; ZAYN GOING THE OTHER WAY!"

I could hear my heart in my head, panic flushing over my senses. He knows...

"I need you," he said and flung his arms around me.

"I'm so sorry," I said not sure what was going on.

"Somebody leaked it, our news. I need you help to find out what bloody bastard did this!" He said a bit more angry.

"Promise me," he said a bit softer this time.

I looked into his heartbroken face and nodded, his lips meeting mine. He hugged me and held onto me.

"I promise," I said weakly.