Chapter 1 (My beginning)

It was a hot summer morning. The air was humid and the sun bright. The sun shined on me, burning my pale skin to a bright red. I scratched at the mosquito bites and ran towards my house. I stopped in front of the mailbox, opened it, and pulled out the mail.
     I let out a sigh. Nothing came from Lindsey yet. I moved to California two years ago, and she promised to write me letters to keep me updated on the drama at school. I used to be the most talked about person at my old school. We were a small town and all we ever did was talk about each other. Then again, most small towns only ever talked about each other. It's upsetting that, to fit in, we have to tear someone else down.
    But I really don't care. I had more money than half that school combined. I had the newest iPphone, newest clothes, newest hairstyles. Who would tear me down? What were they going to say?
    Actually, some dummy did try to tear me down. It almost worked, but I made sure to get her back. But, I got taken away from all that though, and it was because my parents got a divorce. My mom wanted to get away from my dad, and she dragged me along with her. Typical, it's not like she could've let me decide who I wanted to live with anyway.
    Now, I live in the countryside, and my mom is a nurse at a hospital in town. The hospital smells like medicine, and all the walls are painted green. It might as well be a prison, just with sick and dying people inside.
    I went inside and saw my mom bent over the stove. "Can we just order out?" I say in the most monatomic voice ever. I knew I had two seconds to leave that kitchen because of the way she was holding that spoon. She has gotten more anxious since she left my Dad.
    I turned and went upstairs, putting on my comfiest pajamas. I flopped on my bed like a fish and scrolled through my Instagram feed, but nothing new pops up. I huffed and threw my phone to the bedside table. It was's like my friends don't want me to know what was going on with them, like they were cutting me off.
    "Sushi Friday!" My mom proclaimed as I went back downstairs. She had finally changed out of the green hospital clothes and into something nice. She had a blue shirt on with a pair of light washed jeans, her hair now up in a wide ponytail. I frowned as I sat at the table.
"I don't want this," I uttered as I pushed my plate away.
    My mom gave me that evil glare of hers, and I finally sat down to start eating. I looked at the weird little circles filled with fish on my plate. It looked nothing like sushi. "I might as well go eat the grass outside instead of eating this." I muttered to myself.
    My mom's head snapped to the side. "Excuse me, young lady, you should be grateful I even cooked," She took a sip of her juice. "I'm getting sick of your attitude." she told me as she ate her food.
    "Well maybe if you didn't drag me half across the country, away from my friends and family, I wouldn't have an attitude." I stabbed one of the circles on my plate with a fork.
    My mother's eyes wavered across the table until she finally looked me in the eye. "I'm doing the best I can. Your father is the one to blame, he's the one who betrayed this family." She got the salt shaker and added salt to her food.
    "I didn't want to leave Dad." I said. She stopped shaking the salt shaker and stared at her plate for a second. It grew silent until she finally said, "I know."
    "Then why did you make me leave him?!" I screamed at her. I got up from the table and stood closer to her.
    "Because he was a bad man!" My mom said it like I should have already known this.
"He is NOT a bad man! He just made an innocent mistake!" I screeched at the top of my lungs.
    My mom looked at me and said, "An innocent mistake?" She looked sad, like she saw her dog get run over. Her blue eyes looked huge as tears spilled out of them. Her blond hair wrapped around her old face. She looked weak.
    I shrugged. "He didn't do anything. The only thing that happened was that you guys fought all the time." I said while waving my hands.
    My mom sat down at the table. She put her head down and folded her arms across the table. "He cheated on me." She finally said.    
    I opened my mouth to speak, but I closed it. There was no way she was telling the truth. My dad loved this family, and he loved my mother. She had to be lying.
    As I stared at her across the table though, I knew she was telling the truth. Silence filled our small kitchen. It suffocated me from the inside out. My mom looked like a child who just got scolded. I stared at her for a long time before running upstairs.

   Lindsey
                                        Avery Zanger
                                        Allentown, CA
                                        White Hall Street    
Dear Avery,

How are you? I'm very well. Sorry I didn't write sooner, I was busy.

I saw the pictures of your house on Instagram. Your house is so unique, very small and modern. Maybe trim the bushes a little bit and it will be the best house on the block!

I'm sorry to tell you, but your ex-boyfriend is dating Marissa. The one with the weird nose. I posted on my story that they are an ugly couple, but she hasn't responded back. It's weird, it's like she doesn't care what people say. Maybe you can say something, but don't say anything too mean. She's going through a lot right now.

Anyways I'm thinking that I can come down this weekend. There's this cool buffet spot that I want to try out. The address is 748 Carriage Lane. Please come with me, It's going to look so lame if I go by myself.
Love,
Lindsey

I stared at that letter for a long time. Lindsey didn't  have a phone, so how could she post anything on her snap? I crumpled it up and threw it towards my closet. That lying piece of garbage. She lied to me on purpose, but why?