Chapter 19 (Cold feet)

"I'm so exhausted. I haven't had a break since yesterday, I had over 6 assignments to get finished, and then on top of that the teacher decided-"

Diana was speaking to me. I didn't really know what she was talking about, we've been talking for all lunch period. It was almost time to go, but I didn't want to stop her. Every word that left her mouth I wanted to hear, every glance and giggle she gave me I cherished. I wanted to hear all she had to say.

I admit I have never cared about someone so immensely. She would be the first, and most certainly the last.

She took the last bite of her sandwich and looked up at me.

"Oh I didn't mean to talk all lunch period. What about you Avery, how's everything going with you?"

I could feel myself smiling as she said my name.

"I don't really have anything going on in my life right now."

Diana shoved the last bit of sandwich in her mouth. "Your litterally from Rhode Island and moved all the way to California, you don't have any crazy stories?"

"Unfortunately not. Just that my parents are litterally assholes nothing more."

I didn't feel telling her what happened to me at my old school. I felt like like she would look at me differently.

Diana scrunched up her eyebrows.
"Im sorry, I understand that feeling though."

The lunch bell rang. Diana quickly started packing up her things before deciding to stand.

"I have to run down to pottery class, I'll see you later!"

Diana waved at me and ran up the stairs.

I don't know why but I felt sad. Then I got mad at myself for even feeling sad. I grabbed my backpack then I noticed that Diana left her pencil case. It was a pink pencil case with a Hello Kitty key chain attached to it.

So she likes cute things.

I grabbed the pencil case and made my way to the stairs. I remembered she said she had pottery class to get to, and all the art classes were on the third floor.

I was going to be late to history class but I didn't care. As I was walking to the classroom I could see Diana turn down the corner.

She's not heading to Pottery.

I followed her, she was heading to the foreign Language wing. She walked up to a classroom door, and then looked down at her phone. I was still far behind her so I decided to run, she was just standing there so it would be easier to give her pencil case back to her.

The bell indicating the start of next period rang. A lot of people shuffled their way out of the bathrooms and down the hall.

In one of the bathrooms closets to the classrooms, an African American boy came out and made a beeline straight for Diana. I slowed down a little.

Diana turned around and grimaced a little before she reached up and kissed him on the lips. I slowed my pace down to a full stop.

Right.
In.
Front.
Of.
Them.

Diana could see me out of the corner of her eye as she kissed him. She pushed him sightly while saying "hmph".

"Oh hi Avery I didn't see you there. Is that my pencil case?"

She pointed at it as I held it close to my chest.

"Yeah you left it in the lunchroom. Here you go."

I handed it to her. Something inside felt broken. Like a broken piece of glass.

I walked away from them and straight into a bathroom. I felt like I got punched a thousand and one times. I put my hands on the side of the sink and tried to hold back this aching feeling in my chest.

Suddenly someone walked in.

"Avery?"

I looked into the mirror and saw Kernsie standing behind me.

"Lucky I ran into you. I wanted to apologize about my behavior I've been acting like a biatch recently."

She smiled at me. All I could do was stare back. I really didn't care. I wanted to leave the bathroom anyways.

"It's whatever. I have to get out of here." I started making my way towards the door before she grabbed my sleeve.

"Wait! I mean- I ju- let me treat you. Let's go out this Saturday. There is a nice ice cream spot by my house and after that we can walk around. Let me prove to you that I can be a better Freind."

I took a good look at her before I answered. She wore a purple dress this time. The black of her hair seemed a little unkept and disheveled but still pretty nonetheless. She wore heavy eyeliner around her eyes. Her lips were pink and shiny, like she did her makeup before coming in here.

"You taking me somewhere doesn't automatically make us freind's. I hope you realize that, and anyways why are so interested in me anyways?"

Kernsie blushed. Blushed?

"I just really like your company that's all. I think you're cool. You're different."

She said those last two words like it was a secret.

I pulled my sleeve back. "Yeah well if I'm different then you're too hot and cold for my liking. I really don't need you or Sam's pity so just stay away from me."

Kernsie eyes shot up in shock. "Listen ok, just think about it. Let me know if you change your mind."

I grabbed my backpack off the floor and finally walked out of there.