Chapter 8: The Midnight Quest For The Cat In Distress

Kit

By the time she stumbled in the door, her legs exhausted from skating up the big ass hill from Sam's Diner, it was twelve o'clock.

Cam had offered her a ride in his mom's bright red Mini Cooper, but she had refused (idiotically).

The house was like an igloo, and she was worried about Mr.Tibbs. He hadn't been sitting in the window, waiting for her like he usually was, and the tuna was still in his bowl from this morning.

She unlaced her skates quickly, her fingers trembling as she threw her school bag in the hall.

"Mister Tibbs?" she called out, dashing up the stairs, hands gripping the banisters.

"Mister Tibbs?"

She bounded into her room, checking under her bed, on her windowsill, behind her headboard, but he was nowhere to be found.

"Here kitty, kitty...." she cooed, getting down on her knees, crawling around like an idiot.

"This isn't funny Mister Tibbs." she huffed, brushing her curls out of her face and getting to her feet, the carpet burning her knees with the friction.

She felt stupid, honestly, it was only a cat.

But it was her cat.

It was the only thing that kept her company in her stupid-ass ice palace of a home.

Tears welled in her eyes as images of Mr.Tibbs getting crushed by a car played in her mind.

She sniffed, and rushed to the house phone to call Cam.

She speed dialled his house number, and tapped her foot anxiously as the dial tone rang.

"Hello?"

"Missus McKinley?"

"Kit honey! How--"

"I hate to interrupt Missus McKinley, but is Cam home? It's kind of urgent..." she said as she twirled the cord around her slim finger.

"Ah! Sorry Kit! You just missed him! He's gone to try out for this year's football team!"

Kit swallowed back a lump on her throat as her tears spilled over her eyelids.

"Oh." she whispered.

"I'm sorry hun. I'll tell him you called."

"Okay." she said, her voice barely a whisper.

She hung up and leaned against the wall, running a hand through her hair.

"Guess I'm on my own for this one." she said, laughing slightly.

"Now I'm talking to myself." she chuckled bitterly, tears still trailing down her cheeks.

"I'll find you Mister Tibbs." she said, drying her eyes with her sleeve as she headed to the hallway to grab her scarf and skates.

She laces up her skates once again and sped swiftly into her mom's office, speedily typing up a LOST CAT poster and printing out a couple before grabbing them and shooting off into the night.

~

Alex

"Alex, sweetheart, are you alright?"

"I'm fine mom!"

"You've been blaring that punky music for over an hour honey! Don't you want some food? I made meatloaf!"