Epilogue

The blonde girl with dark hazel eyes sat on the swing in the field. Her red Chuck Taylor's barley touched the ground--actually--only the white tips of her shoes managed to grace the overgrown grass.

The little girl's head lolled on her scrawny left shoulder, and her cheeks were puffed out like a blowfish. Her mom had sent her out play with Kurt Barakat, but Kurt was busy practising guitar with his dad (boring).

So the little girl, or, as she was commonly known as--Lexi--sat deep in thought and let the world fly by her as she closed her eyes and let the sun tickle her face.

Although the girl looked like her mother, there was so much of her father in her that she was unaware of. She didn't know how much it hurt her mom to look into the same eyes that she used to know so well. Of course she had to have her father's eyes. Another haunting memory to remind Kit of what she had lost.

It was a shame Lexi didn't know she had Alex's eyes though, but Kit was the only one to blame for that, for she kept all the pictures of Alex tucked away under her bed. Kit wouldn't make her little girl see what Lexi had never known.

But that didn't stop the little girl from being curious to know who her dad was.

And it was something that she was thinking about on the swing before the silence was broken by a very loud noise.

It was the sound of an engine that made Lexi's eyes pop open.

Lexi had never heard such a frightful noise in her entire life. It was loud, nearly scary, but oddly comforting. Like it was something she had heard before. Or so she thought she had heard before. She jumped off the swing in one quick motion and galloped across the field, heading towards her house. Her mom would know what the noise was. Her mom always knew everything.

So with her golden plaits flailing behind her, she ran towards her home, only to find the door hanging open, unattended, might she add.

For eight years old, she was extraordinary smart, and when the door was unattended, something wasn't right. Her mom barely answered the door to anybody. She always made Lexi get it for some
reason Lexi didn't know.

For example, anytime the doorbell rang, her mom would get a misty look in her eyes and simply say "Lexi, you go get it. Maybe you'll surprise me."

Ever since her mom had started speaking that sentence, Lexi had always tried to surprise her mom with guests at the door. Most of the time, it was Mrs.Gaskarth, an old friend of her mom's apparently. Lexi liked her because she made the best cookies in the world (just for her!), and she had the same eyes as Lexi herself (which puzzled her, but she loved Mrs.Gaskarth all the same).

Sometimes it would be Jack and his son. Then others it would be Rian, Zack, Minnie or Quinn. Lexi loved Jack the most though, because he usually told her a list bad words that her mom had banned in the house.

But alas, no matter how many people called, her mom was never truly happy. Lexi could see it in her eyes. She was waiting for someone, but Lexi did not know who.

So as Lexi crept into the house and heard crying, she knew something must have happened while she was away. And when she bumped into Jack's leg in the hall, she frowned, and refocused her sight.

Their hall was packed. A bustle of people were literally jammed into their crappy little hall, talking so rapidly that Lexi couldn't make sense of any of it. She tried to push through the crowd of legs, curious to see what was going on in the kitchen, which seemed to be the focus of attention for the crowd.