The Scriptorium

Sebastian was pestering me more and more about speaking to Ominis as the days went on. I was hoping he'd drop the idea entirely, but it was becoming clear that wasn't going to happen.
I began my search for Ominis, starting with the most obvious place, the commonroom. He wasn't there.
'Think like Ominis', I thought.
I paused momentarily, contemplating where a 15 year old boy would go on the weekend.  The answer was numerous places. I walked the halls, checking some of the usual places he would stand and listen to his peers gossiping. Next, I checked the library, hoping he was studying. Still, he was nowhere to be found. I was beginning to get incredibly frustrated. If he wasn't in any of those places, it mean't he either wasn't in the castle or he was in a hidden room.
'The Undercroft, perhaps?'
I made my way to the there, rehearshing what I would say if I found him. I didn't want to just blatantly ask, without any regard for Ominis's feelings. That would be unfair on him. I decided it would be best to validate his feelings as best I can, then try to convince him. After all, that's how I'd want someone to approach a sensitive topic if I were in his position.
I entered a familiar setting. In the middle of the room, I saw Ominis pacing back and forth.
'Yes!'
As I stepped out of the lift, Ominis spoke.
"Sebastian, I already said no."
"It's me," I said, making my presence clear.
"Oh, it's you Aura. Sebastian sent you, didn't he?"
I nodded. Then cursed myself. I still hadn't quite broken that habit.
"Yes. Is he pestering you again?" I asked.
"Yes. Did he tell you why I don't want to help?"
"He just mentioned your family favoured the use of dark magic."
"I should've know he'd tell you. They do, and they've forced me to cast it before. Do you have any idea what it's like to hear the screams of muggles, knowing you used the cruciatus curse on them?"
"No Ominis, I don't."
"Well then, I don't need a reminder of that guilt," he said.
"I'm sorry Ominis, you were just a child. It wasn't your fault," I said sympathetically. While I had an agenda, I did genuinely feel bad for him. What his family made him do was disgusting.
"That may be so, but I can never forgive myself. Even now, I have to pretend to be like them, or risk being an outcast. My Aunt was like me, she's the one who found the Scriptorium, then she went missing, never to be heard from again. Dark magic is evil. Theres no grey area, it's simply evil."
"Your Aunt found it?" I asked.
"Did you not hear the part about how she was never heard from again?" He snapped.
"I did, but tell me more about your Aunt."
Ominis hesitated for a second. "I never met her, but I've heard stories. Mainly about how ignorant she was for not wanting to use Dark Magic. They would speak about how she believed there had to be more to it, that it needed to be understood to find good in it; and so she went in pursuit of Slytherin's Scriptorium," he said.
"She sounds like a great person," I smiled.
"She was", he smiled back.
"Wouldn't it be nice to know how the woman you resonate with so much died?" I asked.
"I know how she died, in the pursuit of a fallacy."
"But it would honour her memory Ominis, and give you a definitive answer. I know Sebastian has benefits from this, but honestly, it might help you to."
"How would it help me exactly?"
"To heal. You yourself said you don't know how the only member of your family that you could relate to died. She's special to you, even though you didn't know her. It seems pretty beneficial to me", I said.
Ominis thought for a second, then signed.
"Well, it's worth a shot. Find Sebastian and meet me outside the common room," he said.
Then he left.

———————

Sebastian was relatively easy to find, I already knew he'd be in the library.
"Well, I did it," I said.
"Really? You're amazing Aura, thank you!"
"We need to meet him outside the common room."
"Fantastic, let's go."
He stood up to leave. I took hold of his jumper before he could walk off.
"Sebastian, this is really stressful for Ominis. It's bringing up a lot of memories for him. Be more respectful."
"Okay, okay. I will." He said, brushing me off.
I frowned.
"Ugh! Let's go," I said.

———————

We found Ominis waiting patiently by the entrance to our common room.
He leaned up against the wall, and was seemingly deep in thought.
"Ominis, we're here," I said as we approched.
"Perfect, it's just over there," he nodded to his left. Then, with wand pointed forwards he walked off.
We navigated through the dungeons, until we found an archway etched into the wall.
"It should be here around here," he said.
"Now you'll share? You wouldn't tell me when I practically begged you," Sebastian said.
"It wasn't you who told me what I needed to hear," Ominis told him.
"How do we get in?" I asked.
"Opening the entrance has something to do with threes."
"Well three heads are better than one," Sebastian chimed in.
I began looking around.
"It's two heads are better than one," Ominis responded.
"And by that logic, so is three."
I rolled my eyes. Were they going to bicker the entire time?
As I examined the corridors, I realised there were three unlit braziers.
"Confringo," I said, lighting one up. Then, I continued to do the next. On the third, the wall stone that filled the archway, descended into the floor.
"There we go," I said proudly.
'In the centuries since Slytherin's death, how had only one other person discovered this entrance?' It seemed like something someone could've stumbled upon by accident,' I wondered.
"Let's hope we are ready for this," Ominis said.
I watched the two of them, waiting for one of them to proceed down the stairs.
"Well what are you waiting for?" I asked Sebastian.
"I'm just wondering what we might encounter, it looks awfully dark down there," he said.
I rolled my eyes, then proceeded down the stairs. Why was I the one who always had to go first?