24-In which a note arrives

The alarm began to blare just as the sun dipped under the maze walls. Not ten minutes later a confused greenie sat on the grass, firing question after question at Nick.
Maddy missed all the excitement however, as she was making dessert for their tea. And since it was a new greenie, it had to be the best right? So naturally, she made cupcakes. Strawberry, since they still hadn't got any vanilla essence. Maddy decided she would ask for some this time. And maybe a new saucepan, because frypan was only really bothered about his namesake kitchen utensils and not the other pots and pans which now filled the sink.

Newt came in. "How are you Maddy?" She could tell from his body language that her moving her hammock away had hurt him. But she still couldn't speak to him. The task at hand was too big, too important, to be burdening Newt with. And anyhow, she thought, he had seemed pretty down in the dumps before last night, and he wasn't much worse. "Good."

Silence prevailed until the rest of the boys came in for their food.

Maddy did eat that evening, but not enough. Between her and Newt, they ate a portion for one. Obviously, they didn't share, as Maddy had taken the last seat at a corner table far away from Nick, Ben and most importantly, Newt.

But when Maddy saw Newt rise out of his chair to go to bed, without having had a cupcake she noticed, she began to follow.

She thought, as she walked in between the dark trees, that maybe a problem shared was a problem halved. Maybe it would be better to confide in him. After all, he was her best friend, but Maddy still wasn't sure if that was over since she had moved her hammock.

As she stood next to her hammock, watching Newt weave through the others towards the other side, she could almost see herself two days ago, striding alongside him and chatting endlessly. It hurt.

About an hour later, the rest of the gladers appeared, talking noisily. They strung up a hammock for the greenie not too far from her own and as she flipped over to face the boys, she noticed the green beans eyes widen a little.

Eventually quiet reined over the teenagers sleeping forms. Maddy pushed herself off the hammock a little and saw that Newt was asleep. She sighed and flopped back down. She was exhausted.

Just as sleep started to pull her away from consciousness, a face appeared above her. The greenie. Maddy began to scramble back remembering the events with Dan.

"Hey, hey," he tried to sooth her, "I'm not going to do anything." Maddy stopped trying to escape, but still looked wary. "Maddy right?" The boy asked. She nodded.

"Obviously, you're the only girl," he laughed at his own joke and Maddy giggled a little with him.

"Well, in my pocket, there was this bottle, and a note, with your name on, so I thought you might want it."
He handed over a little brown bottle, with a piece of paper attached to it by a length of string.

"I haven't looked at it," the greenie assured her. She smiled up at him as he began to return to his hammock, "Thanks."

Once the boy had left, she first took out the note, and then looked at the bottle. The glass was a murky brown and hard to see through. All she could make out was some sort of liquid sloshing about. She unscrewed the lid and almost laughed as she smelt it.

The aroma of vanilla overpowered her nose and she coughed. The very thing she had forgotten to ask for. Vanilla Essence.

And then she came to the note. She unfurled the wrinkled paper slowly, and began to take in the words. The ink had been smudged, by what could have been tears. Maddy didn't know. Nobody in the Glade could have.

The note read: Don't do anything stupid. From Lucie.

Towards the end, the writing blame shaky and the full stop that finished the sentence was almost a line. Things might not be good here, Maddy thought to herself, but wherever this Lucie is, things can't be too good there either.

As the moon reached the peak of the sky, she fell asleep, eyes still drifting over and over the note as they closed. As she slept that night, she hugged both the bottle and the note close to her chest in an attempt to recreate Newts warmth. It didn't work.

A/N OMGG 1.05k WHAT THATS COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH WOWW. ALSO 50 VOTES IM ACTUALLY LOST FOR WORDSS THANK YOU SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO MUCH
K question time
A) What do you think Maddy looks like?
B) How old do you think I am?
Y'all are so amazing
-Katie