29-In which we hold hands

That night Maddy moved her hammock back so that it was next to Newt's. She knew then that his friendship was what was getting her through this place. That it was because of Newt that she was here. Otherwise, she might never have got over her ordeal with Stan before the glade. She might have just stayed in a corner, crying and hiding, till her misery ended.

When she fell asleep with the cool air gently swaying her hammock, the last thing she saw was Newt looking at her with just the glint of a smile in his eyes. Just that tiny little bit of hope.

When Newt fell asleep, the last words he heard where from Maddy as she mumbled sleepily, "Sorry, Thank you." And before he had time to think about it, his body had shut down and he was asleep.

Neither really dreamed of anything, but in their sleep, they both felt things. A pair of arms holding them a close. A gentle kiss on the forehead. The warmth of another body. And it kept them happy, until dawn.

"Newt," Maddy called to him from the nearby kitchen, "Newt." Her eyes left the bacon for a fraction of a second to look at his sleeping form. She sighed and rolled her eyes before playing up the bacon. "Fry?" She shouted, "You want bacon or can I give it to Newt?"

"Nah, you give it to ya lover boy"
Maddy rolled her eyes and allowed herself a small smile. "He's not my boyfriend, shank."

And even though he wasn't her boyfriend, the feelings she had for him kept growing and growing until they were hard to ignore. She did like him, yes, but maybe not like he liked her. She saw him as a sort of hero, someone who would protect her, do anything for her. Was that love? She didn't know.

"Newtie," Maddy cooed, waving the bacon under Newt's nose, "wake up." The boy groaned in his half awake-half asleep state, and rolled over to face Maddy.

"Mmm?" Newt didn't open his eyes, but his eyebrows drew together and he inhaled deeply. " Newtie, you've gotta run soon," Maddy said.

Newt nodded, "Run... Maze..." Suddenly his eyes snapped open and he shot up, "Is that bacon?"
Maddy's eyes crinkled into a little smile and she giggled. Newt snatched the plate from her hands and ate greedily.

"Oi Shank?" Frypans voice sounded from the kitchen, "Where's my bacon?" Newt looks down at his now empty plate, and swallowed the last mouthful. "I don't know?" He and Maddy laughed, "Go get ready to run," she smiled down at him.

Not ten minutes later, Newt, Ben, Nick and the other runners stood at the maze entrance, laughing between themselves and warming up. Maddy stood in the kitchen and watched, grilling pieces of bread for the other gladers. "You sure he's not ya lover boy?" Frypan smirked down at Maddy, "You been watching him a shucking lot." Maddy just rolled her eyes and carried on toasting the bread.

Another ten minutes passed and the maze doors still hadn't opened. Some of the runners sat around on the grass, talking to the other gladers who had already got up. After another five minutes, Newt and Nick came over to the kitchen.

"What d'you think's happening?" Nick asked Maddy and Fry. "Maddy just shrugged, before applying butter to some toast and handing it to a glader. Frypan, on the other hand, was worried. "I think they're trying to tell us something."

At this, Newt's eyes widened and he started staring at his shoes. "Um, Maddy, can we go talk?" Maddy nodded and followed him behind the kitchen. "Lover boy eh?" Frypans voice drifted after them.

"They don't want you to do it. They don't want you to jump. The creators don't want you to and neither do I so please, please don't." Maddy took Newt's hand in her own as a single tear slowly crawled down her cheek. She brushed it away immediately.

"No Newt. They don't care if I jump. They don't care who's in the maze. They just don't want us to know. They don't want us to remember. I'm doing it." And with that she walked off back to the kitchen, as if nothing had ever happened. But what Newt couldn't see through her turned back was that more and more tears were slipping down her face. It hurt her.

The doors never did open that day.

A/N Helloey! Thanks for reading and also 5 chapters left I think... Hopefully you're going to like the ending :/ DO YOU WANT A SEQUEL? I really need to know sorry. Anyhoo much love for y'all
-Katie