39 - the calm before the storm of solitude

With the memories of the past still echoing through her thoughts, Y/n found herself trailing behind Zhongli and Venti as they ambled down the bustling streets of Liyue.

"Seriously, Zhongli," Venti was arguing, "You cannot claim that jade-based tea is superior to dandelion wine!"

Zhongli, maintaining his composed demeanor, retorted, "It has a unique blend of flavors, and more importantly, it does not leave one with an intolerable hangover the next day, unlike some drinks I could mention."

"Hey, some of us can hold our liquor!" Venti retorted indignantly, puffing out his chest as if to prove his point.

"You passed out on a statue last time, Venti. You're hardly one to talk about holding liquor," Zhongli responded, his face deadpan but his eyes sparkling with amusement.

Venti merely stuck his tongue out at Zhongli, unfazed. "At least I don't resort to tossing mountains at people when they annoy me!"

"Well, I could always demonstrate if you're feeling nostalgic," Zhongli threatened, a smirk playing at the corners of his mouth. "Just like the old days."

The playful banter between the two gods continued, bringing a slight upturn to the corners of Y/n's lips. It was a welcome distraction, a testament to the enduring camaraderie that even time couldn't dampen.

Venti, realizing Y/n had been uncharacteristically silent, turned to her with a flourish, "Y/n, you have to help settle this! Which one is better: jade tea or dandelion wine?"

Y/n blinked at Venti's sudden question, pulled out of her internal reverie. But before she could respond, Zhongli turned to look at her, his golden eyes flickering with an understanding that Venti's light-hearted ones missed. He held her gaze for a moment, an unspoken message passing between them.

"Perhaps," he said, his voice gentle yet firm, "We should leave this debate for another time."

Y/n gave him a subtle nod of acknowledgment, a silent 'thank you' for understanding the storm of emotions swirling beneath her calm demeanor.

As the evening drew closer, a soft chime echoed from Venti's pocket - a reminder that his assistance was needed back in Mondstadt. With a melodramatic sigh, he got up, giving a playful salute to his old friends.

"Well, as much as I'd love to stay and witness more of your tea versus wine debate," he chuckled, looking at Zhongli, "Duty calls. Vennessa won't be pleased if I'm late again. See you both!"

And with that, he was gone, leaving Zhongli and Y/n alone. They stood in silence for a while, the clamor of Liyue a distant murmur. Then, with a determined look on her face, Y/n turned to Zhongli.

"Shall we head to the mountains?" she asked. "I believe there's much we need to discuss."

Zhongli nodded, his gaze somber. "Yes, I agree."

The journey towards the mountains was shrouded in silence, their footfalls the only indication of movement. The twinkle of Liyue's night lanterns grew faint as they ventured further into the solitude of the wilderness.

"You... were present at the time of the Assembly's demise," Zhongli's voice rang out, filling the quiet night with an unspoken dread.

Y/n affirmed with a nod, her gaze distant, as though revisiting the haunting specter of the past. Her usually vibrant eyes were now cold and detached, like winter winds sweeping over desolate fields.

Zhongli opened his mouth to respond, perhaps to offer an apology or an explanation, but Y/n cut him off. "Ever heard of a condition called hyperthymesia, Zhongli?"