Chapter 30: Inevitable Fate

On the northern side of the forest...

Dantalion keeps looking down at Behemoth from the top of the tree. He is relaxing and sitting on the tree branch while occasionally looking up at sky. His voice breaks the awkward silence between them.

"...Are you sure you don't want to go back to the castle, Behemoth? I mean...it's quite obvious that the brothers just want to lure us away from his majesty to give opportunity for Lord Diavolo and his followers to raid the castle."

Behemoth was crossing his arms and leaning against the tree trunk. He looks down and frowns, clearly thinking about what Dantalion just said. He's right. He is aware that Diavolo is currently on his way to kill the demon king but he isn't sure if he should take any action to prevent that from happening. Behemoth is conflicted. A part of him wants to return and protect the demon king at all cost while the other part of him wants to stay and continue to pursue the brothers.

Dantalion observes Behemoth's body language and notices that he is having trouble to decide his next move. That surprises him because he'd never seen Behemoth this hesitant to make a decision in such crucial moment. He is usually calm and rational during a judgement . What's troubling him? Worrying if he can't make it in time when he arrives at the castle? Worrying if he is not strong enough to protect the demon king? The truth is...none of them is worrying him.

"..."

"I understand, Behemoth. It's just the nature of being the leader of the group, wanting to protect the king."Dantalion jumps off the branch and lands with his two feet on the ground."Go. Return to the castle. Don't think about the brothers. I can take on Lucifer and Satan by myself."He taps on Behemoth's shoulder twice to reassure him.

Behemoth shakes his head and frowns at Dantalion."That's not the point, Dantalion. This is not about the brothers nor his majesty nor me being a leader. This is..."He looks away and refuses to make an eye contact. He feels so reluctant to tell Dantalion the truth even though the demon is his close friend.

"'This is'...?"Dantalion waits patiently for him to continue.

"...This is about Barbatos."

Dantalion's eyes wide open."The demon butler? What about him? Did something happen between you and him in the past?"

Behemoth refuses to answer the question and turns around. His eyes are locked at something from the bushes. He opens his mouth and says,"'No matter how hard you try, you can't escape your fate'."

Dantalion gets even more confused and scratches his head when Behemoth walks away."Was that a quote you just said or...? ...Behemoth? Where are you going? Have you finally decided to return?"

"No. I'm just going to take a detour around this area. You stay here, Dantalion. This is an order."Replied Behemoth without even looking at his back.

"What about his majesty then?"

"No need to worry. Agares should be back from his task in the human world soon."

Behemoth walks away into the bushes and left Dantalion standing alone there. He follows Behemoth's order by staying and waiting patiently. Since he got nothing better to do and bored, he plans to do a meditation to pass time. He keeps his body still and leans against the tree trunk. He crosses his arms and closes his eyes to rest his mind for a bit.

TAP!

TAP!

TAP!

Behemoth's footsteps slowly fade away from his hearing. Dantalion ignores the surroundings and focuses on clearing his mind. It's his principle to do a meditation before a big fight. He believes...at any moment from now...