Chapter 64: The Curse of Time

"To protect what we hold dear, sacrifices are needed...even if it means sacrificing someone's life...For the greater good..."

.

.

.

.

.

"...The demon kings must die."
.

.

.

.

.

The First King of Devildom, King Orobas died in the year 2XXX, 13th of August, Saturday evening. The history repeated. Not too long afterwards, the Second Demon King followed. King Amdusias died in the same year, around the same time.

The period between the two dates is too short and too suspicious to ignore. When look into details, both deaths are also quite related. Like two pieces of scenarios that are meant to be connected with each other.

Was it really a coincidence? A hidden message might be overlooked. What if everything was planned?

His head is dizzy. As Behemoth keeps having this thought while working in his office, his eyes flash towards the window. His heart tells him to look outside so he just does that. The view is spectacular.

It was a peaceful day in Devildom. The moon and stars sparkle gracefully in the black canvas. These years are one of the busiest time for demons since the preparation for war against the angels must be done soon.

The view from Behemoth's office directly faces the garden of the castle. Apparently, the current king, the Third Demon King, King Marax is entertaining a group of noble demons in the castle garden. The butlers stand around them and serve a lot of food. They're surrounded by gorgeous flowers and plants. The demons are enjoying nature while so deep into the conversation.

Leaning against the window frame while resting his chin on hand, Behemoth observes them closely. Whatever the topic they're discussing must be not that important because he can clearly see Marax cracks a laughter while he talks. The demon king looks so happy and entertained by the noble demons' company.

The longer Behemoth stares at Marax, the more his mind wanders until he gets into the point...what if he's next?

"?!"

He flinches and his chin falls from hand. That thought struck him brutally. He steps back away from the window and returns to his chair. He takes a deep breath and tries to calm down.

Ever since he escaped death narrowly several years ago, his body has became much weaker and very easy to get exhausted. Amdusias might have healed and restored his body but some of the side effects are still lingering. Due to the Ordeal performed by the angels, Behemoth has permanently lost half of his demonic strength and power, resulting in him getting weaker as time passes. However, he doesn't get bothered. Being alive is good enough for him. As long as he can still perform his duty as the leader, nothing else is matter.

Behemoth shakes his head and grabs the ballpen."...What am I thinking? His Majesty Marax is going to die next? Pfft...as if..."He chuckles under his breath. He's still traumatised by Orobas and Amdusias's death that he can't stop thinking about the worst case scenario for the Third Demon King.

He rubs between his eyebrows and returns to his tasks. He tries to distract himself from those thoughts but his eyes keep glancing at the calendar on the desk. On the subconscious level, he counts days and years. How many years or days left before the next king--

A soft knock interrupts his thought. From the gap between the door, a demon butler reveals himself with a food tray.

"Your tea, sir."