Part 19

"Have you ever actually chosen the colour of your own room?" James asked Sirius.

"No," He answered thoughtfully.

"Well, Mum just sent over some paint swatches for us to look through with Regulus," James grinned.

"We're allowed to paint our own rooms?" Sirius wondered.

"Yeah? Mum and Dad own the house. And they love new decor!" James nodded.

"Have you ever wondered what animals must think when humans pick them up and cuddle them?"

"Not really. Why? Have you?"

"Of course I have!"

James shook with laughter. 

"What?" Remus stared at the disarray before him.

James and Sirius stared back, hardly holding in their inexplicable laughter.

Then, with an exchanged look, they burst into laughter, holding each other up like the other might fall if they were to let go, because they would.

"I don't even want to know," Remus muttered.

With some deep breathing, James and Sirius lay together on the floor.

"What the fuck is going on?" Regulus sauntered into the Gryffindor boys' dorm room.

"OH! WE HAVE PAINT SWATCHES TO LOOK THROUGH!" James cried, flying to his bedside table.

"He's stupid," Regulus remarked.

"That is my best friend you are talking about!" Sirius frowned defensively. "But you are, unfortunately, right."

Regulus nodded, watching as James tripped over everything in his path and even things that weren't.

It took hours, but they finally decided on their three favourite colours. Then decided to leave the decisions to another day, something that James and Regulus had become very familiar with.

"Hey Pads, could you go send Mum an owl with the remaining swatches?" James delegated.

"I would love to. You two will be okay in here by yourselves?" Sirius checked.

"We won't kill each other," James said.

"Yay! Okay, get along!" Sirius bounced off.

James turned to face Regulus.

"So, do you know what you want to do?" James wondered.

Regulus nodded."Yeah. You?"

"Yeah. Say it one three?"

"What if we disagree?"

"Well then, we talk it over."

"One."

"Two."

"Three."

"Hide then tell." They said together.

"Thank Merlin!" James sighed, reaching out for Regulus's hand.

Regulus took the offer.

"How much longer are we thinking?" He murmured.

"Until the time feels right, I guess." James smiled reassuringly.

"When was the last time you slept?" Regulus reached for James's face.

"I had a nap yesterday. That count?"

"Nope."

"In that case, Thursday."

"It's Saturday, James." Regulus worried.

"I'll be fine," James yawned.

"Go get some sleep, my love," Regulus frowned.