Part 13

"Mr. Black, you cannot-" Madam Pomfrey began, trying to slow the middle-aged man.

"Enough." He said, the word ringing through the air like a gunshot.

He knew his authority would not be challenged, and that was a power he abused without remorse. Orion Black was not one to be overruled, especially not by Hogwarts staff.

"Stand," He commanded his son. "You are coming with me."

Regulus stood. "No."

Orion turned, fury lit like a match behind his eyes. "What did you just say?"

"I said no," Regulus' voice began to shrink.

"You cannot spend the rest of your time locked up in this room with that boy!" Orion shouted.

"What if that's what I want to do?" Regulus replied.

"I don't care! You are going back to your common room at once!"

"No."

"I knew your mother was right," Orion shot, "she told me that you were one of those queers, but I didn't believe her. Not my boy."

"Mr, Black, please leave. You are causing a stir!" Madam Pomfrey shouted.

"I WILL NOT LEAVE WITHOUT MY SON!" Spittle flew from his mouth.

James watched in horror as wands were drawn and spells were thrown between father, son, and nurse.

"Stop it!" He yelled over the shots. "Stop it now!"

Miraculously, they stood still, frozen in shock.

"Regulus is not leaving, but you are!" James commanded, finding the strength to sit up.

"Why-" Orion began.

"I am not finished." James became dangerously calm. "He is staying, but you are leaving. You are causing a grand disturbance! Leave."

"I am afraid that young Mr. Potter here is correct. We are asking you to leave, now, Mr. Black," DUmbledure said.

Pulling up his cane, Orion Black stormed away, a small house elf toddling behind him.

Regulus sat on the edge of James' bed, shock consuming him.

"Reg?" James murmured, putting an arm out.

"Fine. I'm fine," He lied.

Silence engulfed the room, nobody daring to say anything to the younger boy. 

James looked at the adults, mouths agape as they stared on.

"Could you please give us a few moments?" James smiled, but it was not a question.

As the footsteps faded, James turned to the boy shaking in his arms.

"Do you want to talk about it or be distracted from it?" He whispered.

"Neither. I just need a hug," Regulus whispered, breaking James' heart with every word.

"James-" Madam Pomfrey murmured.

"Not yet," He replied shortly.

"What happened in here?" Sirius stared around the hospital wing.

Then his eyes landed on the couple and his heart dropped. 

"What the fuck happened in here?" Sirius addressed Dumbledore and McGonagall.

"Your father came for your brother. It didn't end well," McGonagall softly sat Sirius down.

Sirius put his head in his hands. "Of course he did. Can't just leave shit be, can he?"

Then, with fires of fury lighting his eyes, he turned to Dumbledore.