Part 20

James woke up the next morning, drenched in sweat in Regulus's bed.

"Just be quiet until they all leave," Regulus whispered.

Regulus tucked his arms under the blanket, pulling James closer.

"Reg! We're heading to breakfast, come down when you're ready!" Barty shouted, slamming the dorm door behind him.

"How're you doing?" Regulus asked.

"I'm tired." James buried his face into Regulus's chest.

"Okay. Well, you have time to sleep before lunch."

Regulus was left to think in the absence of James's full conscience.

About James.

About the events of the previous night.

About everything that had led up to right in that moment.

"James?" Regulus asked.

He hummed, his warm breath moving up to Regulus's collarbone.

"What do we do about Sirius?" 

"I don't know. Knock him out?"

Regulus laughed, but the hot tears persisted. "I'm not kidding. I don't want to do anything to hurt my brother."

"But if we lie to him or break up, that's hurting both of us. Which will eventually hurt him, because he'll see how much it hurt us." James stretched.

"But right now he's so fucking mad."

"I know my love, but he'll come around."

"But what if he doesn't? And he hates us forever? And never speaks to us again?"

"He's been my best friend since I was eleven. And your brother since the beginning of your life."

"But we're dating. And what happens if we get married? Or if he gets married? Or if-"

"Reggie, it'll be okay. Sirius is going to be okay with this because he loves us."

"James, I'm scared," Regulus admitted in a shaky voice.

"I know, my love. I'll be right here with you." James assured, rubbing Regulus's back.

They stayed like that for a long time, warm embrace under the heavy comforter.

The morning sun poured through the curtains and bed hangings, lighting Regulus's eyes with the light of a thousand suns.

James had never seen anything so beautiful as this.

"What?" Regulus wondered sleepily. "Why are you staring at me?"

"Because you're wonderfully handsome and I am so glad I am the only one who gets to do this," James smiled.

And he kissed Regulus.

Over and over and over again.

"Okay!" Regulus laughed.

"Reg?" James spoke.

"Hm?" He replied.

"Can we go get food?"

-

James awkwardly knocked on the door to the dorm room, hovering as he watched his best friends sitting on the floor.

"Thank Merlin you're back!" Peter jumped up to hug James.

"Hi," James scratched the back of his neck.

"Brotherfucker." Sirius refused to look over at him.

"What he means to say is 'hi', but he's too big of a baby to say it!" Remus shoved his boyfriend.