Part 16

Lily watched as her half-dozen kittens played with the clothing littered on the Marauders' dorm room floor.

A tiny tortoiseshell kitten clambered up Sirius's pant leg.

"Hi, cutie!" Sirius squeaked, picking him up.

"Want him?" Lily asked hopefully.

"Of course I do!" Sirius grinned, cuddling the cat to his chest. "I'm a dog person, not a monster!"

"What's his name?" Lily wondered after a moment.

"Parmesan." Sirius stared deep into the kitten's soul. "Sean for short."

"You're so weird."

"Good. Being normal sounds boring."

"Do you need anything for your cat?"

"He has a collar. Water. Food. Friends and family. What else?"

"A bed?"

"MY BABY NEEDS A BED!"

Sirius raced around, Parmesan in his jumper pocket.

He couldn't find anything like a cat bed, but filled a dresser drawer with blankets and cushions, deciding that was enough.

"So, do you lads need more cats?" Lily inquired, a box of kittens in her arms.

"I always need more cats," Remus smirked, strolling in.

"Which one do you want?" LIly offered him the box.

Remus watched, every set of eyes on him.

Finally, he chose the pure black kitten. The thing clung to him as if he were the land around a strong tide.

"Thank you, baby," Lily kissed his cheek.

"Anything for my favourite lady," Remus smiled, watching as Sirius' jaw dropped.

"I THouGhT I WaS YoUr FaVoUrItE lAdY!" Sirius whined.

"My love, you're okay!" Remus stroked his cheek. "You're my favourite."

"Ew!" Lily exclaimed, a quick laugh as she exited.

"I'm bored!" James flopped onto a pile of clothes on the floor.

"Uh oh," Remus sighed.

"Wanna make a bet?" Sirius grinned.

"What's the bet?" James rolled closer to Sirius.

"Five galleons to the first person who gets Minnie to hug them!" Sirius tugged on a lock of James' messy black hair.

"Sirius, that is ridiculous!" Remus exclaimed, dog piling on top of them.

"But...?" Sirius looked up.

"I'm in," Remus sighed reluctantly.

"Terrific!" James popped up. "Can we get ice cream?"

"I LOVE ICE CREAM!" Sirius screamed.

Remus closed his eyes and took a deep breath in. "I could have had anyone I wanted, but I chose this one. Why?"

"Loser," James grinned.

"So who are you dating, James Potter?" Remus raised his eyebrows

Shutting up quickly, James turned into a stag and leapt out the window, broom in his mouth.

"What the fuck?" Lily walked into the room, Mary at her heels.

"Welcome to the Marauders dorm, how may we be of service?" Remus laughed, Sirius' chest under his elbow.

-

"How are you not dead yet?" Regulus shouted at James as they sat by the lake.

"I do stupid stuff, but I'm smart about it," James shrugged.

"It is a bloody miracle that you're alive, Potter!" Regulus skipped a stone.

James chuckled. "Hey, I'm safe. An idiot? Yes. But I am always safe, I promise you."

"You sure as hell better be, you dumbass!" Regulus turned to look at James.

James had the purest look on his face. It was like James was falling in love with him right before his eyes.

"What?" Regulus's voice softened.

James smiled but shook his head. "Nothing."

"No, seriously. What?" Regulus wondered.

"I just don't know how I have such an amazing boyfriend, that's all." James scratched the back of his neck awkwardly.

"Awe, lover boy!" Regulus pushed their knees together.

James chuckled, resting his head on top of Regulus's.

"I just don't see why I can't talk to the squid!" Sirius' voice carried.

James leapt up, turning in every direction trying to find somewhere to hide. Instead of hiding behind the rock, he jumped into the freezing lake.

Thinking on his feet, well, in the water, he cast a bubble-head charm, watching through the water.

"What're you doing out here, Reg?" Sirius asked.

"Oh, you know..." Regulus trailed off, trying to find something to tell them.

Sirius stared into the distance with his brother, zoning out.

"What are you two looking at?" Remus burst the bubble.

"The crack of ass," Sirius whispered.

Regulus couldn't help but laugh at the couple's banter.

"Now, where is that damned squid?" Sirius looked across the glassy lake, finding nothing of interest.

"What happened to Jamesy boy?" Remus inquired, looking at his boyfriend.

"Dunno!" Sirius cartwheeled away.

Had he been able to stop laughing, James' bubble-head charm would have worked perfectly. However, the boy was in stitches, causing the bubble to pop and James to nearly drown.

Resurfacing, it looked as though he had been drowning. But fortunately, he took swimming lessons.

Floundering to the surface, he doggy paddled his way to shore. It may have looked stupid, but it was effective enough.

"How did you get in there?" Remus's jaw dropped.

"Well, I left the castle and jumped in," James smiled.

Remus rolled his eyes.

"Whatever. Say, how about we go make friends with the squid?" Sirius grinned.

James sprinted back to the water, Sirius on his heels.

"We really had to choose the dumbest boys out there, huh?" Remus frowned.

"We must have some sort of death wish," Regulus chuckled, a rare smile peeking through.

-

"Reg, love," James stared at the smudged eyeliner and running mascara. It was everything that made Regulus feel beautiful. He already was.

Regulus's sobs slow, but his breathing remains unsteady.

"You don't have to make people like you or show them you're enough. Because I like you. And you're always going to be enough for me. I love you, Reggie," James murmured.

The smaller boy nodded but pushed his face deeper into James's shoulder.

It was the first comfort he had found in years, and may well be the last.

"I love you too, James," He murmured.

Hot, shameful tears poured from Regulus's eyes, into the wool of James's favourite sweater. Secretly, it was Regulus's favourite too. Sometimes he would curl up in it next to the fire with a nice book.

He didn't know what he would do without James.