Chapter 21: Hit Rock Bottom

The next day mother received a call informing that father was hospitalized in Italy after getting into a car accident heading to the airport from his hotel to return back home. Father and along with his crew were in critical condition since an oil truck had hit their van directly from the front. It was also reported that the man did not have time to stop once the red light shone since the truck was had already passed quarter of the line but the van father was in happened to accidentally crash into the oil truck as it failed to swerve since the light had already turned green on their side.

Mother was even devastated because her brother, mother and husband were all going through something serious. She didn't know if she should leave or stay because she had to help settle Uncle Jinho's funeral but also prepare for grandmother's surgery that had grown quicker than yesterday, surprising all of us because grandmother's previous check up which was 2 months ago had reported that she was clear of illnesses. 

It was a weekday and that meant everyone except me had classes to attend to since I was on semester break. But given the condition we were in, of course family came first, so we got ready to leave home to get ready for Uncle Jinho's funeral ceremony. Grandmother demanded to be released for two days, wanting to be with her deceased son , already accepting of his leave from the world. 

I grabbed my things to get into the car with mother, grandmother and Aecha when I received a call from Jungkook. My gut did not feel right and I had this urgent feeling to answer the call, so I did. 

"Hello, Jungkook ?" From my calm demeanor, I felt my world crashing down even more, as I crouched down, tears falling quickly as I hear Jungkook's next words, "Namjoon got into a hit and run."

My heart clenched as I hear Jungkook explaining what had happen. I cupped my mouth, in shock from what I was hearing over the phone. 

Why is this happening ?! WHY ?!

Jiho noticed my stance as he had just gotten out from his room, about to descend from the steps until he saw me nearby the stairs. He hurriedly went over and asked, "W-What happened ?"

I lost all energy and stumbled from my crouching, my arm that held my phone close to my ear was now clawing the carpeted floor, channeling all the emotion I was undergoing to the grip. I cried my heart out as all the people around me were getting hurt at once. 

"Do you want to save them ?" His voice that irritated me right now was echoing into my mind. My tears that were cascading down my cheeks due to sadness and grief turned to anger. I started shaking in ultimate rage, wanting to meet him head on because he was toying with me by hurting my family.

"Miss the funeral and we'll talk. If not.." His halts, creating suspense for me, which he managed to scare me, forcing me to gulp thickly.

"..say goodbye to precious mommy, grandmother and Aecha," He threatens, feeling his breath fan the shell of my ear, arising goosebumps all over me.

I quickly turned behind to see if he was there, but he wasn't. Jiho asked me if I was ok since I had not been responding but I muttered an 'I'm fine' despite being far from that. I started think maybe he was playing a game with me, that he wouldn't harm them if I followed to the funeral home since I would be in the car. However, there was this feeling in me that told me to stay. My head started to spin, trying to choose between the two. 

After some short thinking, I gulped, going with the first choice. 

"Y/n ! Are you ok ? You haven't been answering," Jiho accidentally screamed, which I shot my head to look at him who was beside me looking with full worry. I swallowed the lump in my throat, already feeling another set of fresh tears brimming at my eyes. "Yeah, yes. I, uh.. just.." I tried to find the words to say because I had to see Namjoon later and it was quite difficult for me to say I was fine since anything could happen when were at the funeral home.