TITLE: ego made us do it
AUTHOR: aphrodeity on AO3

TITLE: ego made us do itAUTHOR: aphrodeity on AO3

It's hot in the infirmary. Reo lies on the nurse's bed against the wall with a hand thrown over his eyes to shield himself from the bright lights, wondering when he'll be attended to. Ever since he ate dinner after that stupid match against Isagi, Barou and Nagi, he's been feeling like shit. Feverish, stomach churning, arms shivering and palms sweaty. Ego told him to come to this room, so where the fuck are the medical staff?

After what feels like a lifetime, Reo is relieved to hear the sound of the door opening. The relief, however, is short lived.

"Reo? What are you doing here?"

If Reo had the strength to sit up, he'd already be halfway across the room. "Nagi, what the hell?" he moans, unequipped to deal with this right now. "How did you get in here?"

"I could ask you the same question. I'm here for special training. Are you trying to fucking sabotage me?"

"What the fuck?" Reo's head is spinning. "Can't you see this is a nurse's office?" He barely has the strength to open his eyes, but he can feel the weight of Nagi's stare. It makes him feel vulnerable when he's like this, utterly defenceless.

"Boys, boys." Ego's voice interrupts them as a screen flickers to life on the far wall. Reo groans, pushing himself into a half-seated position so he can at least look at Ego while he hopefully explains what the fuck is going on. He can sense Nagi's presence to his right, standing tall by the door, but doesn't dare look. Something about him being here is making his stomach feel worse. "No need to fight. It seems you've both been given false information."

"What?" Nagi growls, stepping towards the screen with his fists clenched. Whoa, he's mad. Is he still mad because of the match?

Ego laughs. "That may be my fault. You see, there is no nurse, and there is no special training. There's just you two."

"I don't understand," Reo groans, clutching his stomach. "I feel really sick."

"That's what Nagi is here to help you with."

"Explain," Nagi grits out. Ego smiles in that maniacal way of his, appearing far too pleased.

"You both let emotions get the better of you during your game today. I was disappointed. You cannot be true egoists if you hold onto meaningless things like friendships and old promises." Ego waves his hand for dramatic effect. "I need the both of you to get over all of that. To see each other at the rawest form, to connect on the most intimate level, and overcome your petty squabble. You need to commit to your rivalry for your ability as strikers to flourish."

"You're not making any sense." These all just sound like empty words to Reo. He genuinely thinks he needs to go to the hospital due to some kind of organ failure.