十六

TITLE: flip the script
AUTHOR: paradisea on AO3

It's a quiet Sunday evening, save for the sounds of city traffic and awakening nightlife on the streets below his apartment

It's a quiet Sunday evening, save for the sounds of city traffic and awakening nightlife on the streets below his apartment. Reo lies on his bed, highlighting lines in his script. Tomorrow they start filming the next season of Reo's drama, and it's going to be a very, very long day. He's excited, though.

There's a quiet knock at his door, so faint that he wonders if he's just hearing things. Reo sits up, uncertain. The knocking sounds again, louder this time, and Reo takes that as his cue to get into character. "Alright, alright!" he yells, getting to his feet.

Inhaling deeply, he clears his mind and stashes Mikage Reo away. Right now, he's the second lead's love interest-who just heard a knock at their door despite not expecting visitors. (Personally, he wouldn't open it, but that's just him.)

Reo pads to the door. For a moment, he hesitates with his hand on the knob, wondering if this is the best idea, but he shakes the thought from his head. He opens the door, just enough to see who it is on the other side, and he goes still.

Should've trusted his instincts.

A shocking splash of white in the dimly lit hallway, Nagi stands with his back to the door, hands shoved in his pockets. Reo's grip on the handle slackens, and the door's hinges creak before he has a chance to stop it. Nagi turns, and the way Nagi's eyes light up when he notices Reo standing there-the happiest Reo can remember seeing him-knocks the air from his lungs.

Neither of them move, taking each other in. Nagi shuffles awkwardly under Reo's gaze, shifting his weight to his other leg. "Can I come in?" Nagi asks. Reo purses his lips. Eyebrows drawn together, he scans Nagi from head to toe, forcing his face to remain neutral. He looks good-better than he remembers, even.

"...I don't see why not," he says after a few seconds, opening the door enough for Nagi to squeeze past.

Nagi follows Reo into the room, lingering by the entrance. Reo puts as much space between them as possible, walking to the opposite end of the room and sitting atop of his dresser. His posture is purposefully closed off: shoulders hunched, arms loosely hugging his middle, and legs crossed at his ankles. "So what do I owe the pleasure?" Reo muses, sarcasm oozing from his voice.

"Don't be like that. Can't I just come to say 'hi'?" Nagi asks. (No, the love interest's ex-boyfriend never shows up to just say hello.)

Reo scoffs, rolling his eyes. "Drop the nice-guy act, won't you? We're the only ones here," Reo says, gesturing to the otherwise empty room. "A year ago, you left without saying a word to anyone. Now here you are, knocking at my door," he leans back, placing his weight on his hands, "and you expect me to believe that you simply want to say hello? I think I know you better than that."

He mutters his next words, eyes dropping to the floor. "Well, I thought I did, anyway."

"You did," Nagi argues, stepping forward with his hand pressed to his chest. Then: "Do. You do," he corrects himself. "You know me better than anyone."