NINE

The next week, I spent as much time as possible with my new friends. Instead of falling asleep outside of the music building between classes, I would go visit the guys in the dorm or make out with Di behind the sports hall. By that Friday, I really felt like my life was starting to fall into place. That day, I got to Language & Lit late, as usual, and noticed that Phil had moved from his regular seat to the usually empty one next to mine in the back.  I slipped in, giving him a nod hello. He smiled mischievously in response. I got out my notebook to begin doodling as usual when a note landed on my desk. I glanced over toward Phil, who was paying a little too close of attention to the lecture. I suppressed a laugh as I carefully unfolded the note.

Late again?  

I smiled and scrawled, "Got the whole play memorized. Lucky I even showed up." I folded the paper and when I was sure no one was looking, tossed the paper onto Phil's desk and began doodling in my notebook. A moment later, the note reappeared.

Well aren't you smart? ^_^ Are you busy after class?

Drama @ 3.

Wanna go on an adventure?

What?

Come with me after class! n.n

K cx

Phil didn't return the note after that but slipped it into his pocket, so I spent the rest of the lecture drawing pictures and pretending to pay attention to yet another Streetcar Named Desire lecture.

"Where are we going?" I asked Phil as he led me out of the building after class.

"You'll just have to find out!" he laughed, "Keep up!"

I jogged to catch up and together we snuck behind the sports hall to a place where there was a gap in the fence which surrounded the campus.

"C'mon," Phil said, bending down near the gap.

"We're going through here?" I asked, confused, "Why don't we just go out the front?"

"It's faster!" he replied, crawling through the gap, "I told you this was an adventure. Now come on!" He shoved his hand through the gap and grabbed mine, helping me through. "This way!" he exclaimed in a hushed tone.

"Why are you whispering?" I whispered back, struggling to keep up.

"Adds to the excitement, don't you think?" he smiled, "I just feel like you need to whisper when you sneak out of somewhere."

"You're still weird." I shook my head.

"If you don't want me to whisper I guess I could be louder!" Phil cried, screeching the last word as loudly as he could.

"Shh!" I laughed, putting my hand over his mouth.

"Who's whispering now, huh?" he teased. "Give me your bag." I obeyed and Phil placed it next to his near the fence. "No one ever looks back here," he explained. "Now come on!" He led me up over a small ridge and nearly into a road full of incoming traffic. "Watch out!" he screeched, grabbing my arm to slow me down. "Middleton Road is, like, the busiest road ever!"

That was a slight exaggeration, but it was a very busy road. Our college was fenced off and so full of grass and trees, I often forgot that it was right in the middle of a city. We walked along the pavement for a minute and then Phil grabbed my arm.

"Now!" he shouted and pulled me into a break in the line of traffic. Several cars honked their horns, but we somehow managed to survive.

"Are you trying to kill me?" I freaked, my heart pounding in my chest, but Phil only laughed.