TWENTY ONE (part 2)

"Right," I giggled, "Master, I am innocent of all charges. The guilty party is Pasquale, the servant of that lady there.," I gestured to Phil who pretended to faint in surprise, "He switched the stuff in the trunk and the pockets of the coat. I was completely in the dark. The guy pleaded with me to take the blame, because he was afraid his master would fire him, and well...I guess I'm just a sentimental softy who'd lay down his life at the drop of a hat...but I made up all those stories to help him. I never dreamed it was a portrait of you or that you'd get so angry about the death of that other person. Now that I've come clean, I'm sure you'll see that I am indeed an honest and faithful servant."

"Seems like a pretty honest and faithful servant to me," PJ said to Phil.

"Not to interrupt," Phil read, ignoring Peej's commentary, "But are you finished?"

"Madame!" PJ laughed at me referring to my boyfriend as 'madame', "You remember I told you about that gentleman's servant? It was Pasquale!"

"No!" Peej shrieked, "Not Pasquale!"

"Yes Pasquale!" Phil laughed, finally breaking character, "How was class?"

"It was fine," PJ giggled, "How was whatever you two are doing?"

"Dan was just helping me understand the Lit reading," Phil explained, throwing off his sheet-dress.

"Oh well then, that makes perfect sense," PJ chuckled.

"And it worked, right?" I asked, wrapping my arms around Phil from behind.

"Yes, of course!" Phil smiled.

"And at the small price of the cleanliness of the room!" Peej teased, sticking out his tongue.

"Please, as if it was remotely clean to begin with," Phil said, jumping down from the bed. "Oh crap, I've got to go!" Phil said, noticing the clock on the bedside table.

"Where're you off to in such a rush?" I asked, grabbing his hand.

"Tutoring, remember?" Phil said, a little to eagerly.

"Oh, right," I said, "Well, have fun."

"I won't," he assured me, "See you guys in an hour or so!"

"Bye!" I called after him. "What?" I asked, noticing Peej smiling at me.

"Nothing," PJ grinned.

"No, seriously, what?" I prodded.

"Nothing, I just—I knew you'd be good for him."

"I don't know what you're talking about," I blushed, picking up some loose bedsheets and throwing them up on the bed.

"Oh please," he teased, "I haven't seen Phil as happy as you make him in a long time. Maybe ever."

"Really?" I asked, a little surprised.

"Yeah," Peej said, "He really loves you."

"Good," I smiled, "Because I really love him too."