EIGHTEEN

"Morning, Bear," Mum smiled, putting down a magazine as I entered the lounge.

"Hey Mum," I said, a groggy smile spreading over my face as I plopped down on the sofa. "Whatcha doin?"

"Oh, just indulging in some trash literature," she laughed, referring to the gossip magazine she had been reading. "There's bacon in the kitchen if you want breakfast, although you slept til nearly lunch!" 

"Sorry," I said, "I've gotta take advantage of my last day to sleep in before I have to go back to classes."

"I suppose," she grinned. Just then, my phone buzzed in my pocket. "Who's that?" Mum raised her eyebrows.

"Phil," I couldn't help but smile seeing his name appear on my screen.

"Oooh. What's the boyfriend have to say?" 

"Phil is not my boyfriend," I said pointedly, shooting her a look.

"He seems a little boyfriend-y to me," Mum said, nudging me in the side, "But what do I know? I'm just your mother!"

I rolled my eyes and read the text Phil had sent.

Did you do it yet?

Ugh.

The last time Phil had been over was on Thursday, when he'd originally come up with his great matchmaking scheme.

"Why is it such a big deal?" I had asked, hitting him with a pillow.

"Because," he hit me back, "Peej's dad is so nice and he's so lonely. And your mum could use somebody."

"She has me," I'd volunteered.

"Yeah," Phil rolled over to face me, propping himself on his elbow, "But you have me too. And Peej. But all she has is her lame teenage son," he shot me a wink.

"I guess," I admitted. 

"So you should try to set them up," he batted his eyes, "for me."

"I guess I could suggest it," I gave in.

"Good," he smiled and leaned over to kiss me on the cheek. "I have to go. I have loads of work. I know you just got out of hospital, but try to get some rest before you come back to college, eh?"

"Okay," I promised, "Hey, wait--" I grabbed the cuff of his sleeve as he stood to go, "When will you be back?"

"When your mum has a date!"

 I'd thought he was joking, but now it was Sunday, and I still hadn't seen him. Apparently I wasn't the only one who had noticed his absence because just then Mum began asking questions.

"Speaking of Phil, where has he been recently? I thought once you were out of hospital he'd all but live here, but I've barely seen him!"

"Yeah well, he's been... busy," I said, "Lots of school work."

"Well he should come over again soon. Maybe you could invite him to dinner tonight!" she suggested.

"Yeah maybe," I decided this was as good a time as any to make Phil's matchmaking dreams a reality. "You know who else we should have around for dinner sometime?"

"Hm?"

"PJ."

"PJ?"

"Yeah," I said, trying not to sound awkward, "PJ."

"The boy who got you beaten up?" she asked snidely. 

"PJ did not get me beaten up," I defended, "I got me beaten up."