EPILOGUE

If you like happy endings, I guess you should probably stop here and tell yourself that that's all there is. But I think you would be doing yourself a major injustice to be honest. Sometimes I wish that Phil and I's story had ended there on the beach that day, but it didn't. Our story ended a little over a year later with lots of crying and separate universities.

Yeah, we broke up. I guess teenage romances can't always last forever. But Phil did teach me something very important. Phil taught me what it meant to be alive. Phil taught me that you don't have to do anything, to be anything, to pretend to like anything in order to fit in or be cool. Phil taught me that sometimes life is hard and sometimes it's ugly and other times it's beautiful or even boring, but that we should revel in every minute of it. Because even if our lives aren't anything spectacular, we are alive, if only for this fleeting moment, and we should never forget to cherish that fact. Phil taught me that there is a universe inside me and I think I finally understand what he meant. In this life, we have infinite potential, trapped in this finite time we are given. You don't get to decide to be alive, but you do get to decide what to do with your life. I don't regret a single moment Phil and I spent together. I hope he feels that way about me.

It's important to remember that being alive-- it isn't always bad.