TWENTY FOUR

Let the Bible Belt come

And save my soul

Hold on to sixteen as long as you can

Changes come around real soon to

Make us women and men

"What the hell're you listening to?" Phil laughed, entering the dorm room and plopping himself down on the bed next to me.

"One of Mum's records she gave me," I said, absentmindedly, "John Cougar Mellencamp I think I dunno."

"Hm, never heard of him," Phil shrugged, leaning in and kissing my cheek. "Speaking of your mum, have you heard from her?"

"No!" I admitted, "I'm so curious!"

"Have you called?" Phil's eyes lit up.

"No," I admitted, "but she said she would call when he left."

Mum had done it. Nearly a month since I had brought up the idea, Mum was finally on a date with Peej's dad.

"I want to know so bad!" Phil exclaimed, clenching his hands into fists.

"It's kinda weird, but I really hope they hit it off!" I confessed.

"Wouldn't that be weird?" Phil giggled, "What if they get married? Will you and Peej be, like, brothers then?"

"I guess," I said, "That would be cool I guess."

"Weird," Phil laughed, "Speaking of Peej, what are you doing?" Phil addressed the boy who was laying in the fetal position in his bed, holding his phone in his hands as if it was the most delicate and rare flower in existence.

"Waiting," Peej said, not taking his eyes off of his phone.

"That film school is supposed to call today," I reminded Phil, "He's been like that most of the day."

"Chill, PJ!" Phil teased, "If they have any sense at all they'll accept you!" Peej didn't reply, only curled his fingers tighter around his phone until his knuckles turned white.

"How was your day?" I asked, "I feel like I haven't seen you at all.
"Media was good," Phil shrugged, "Other than that it was just school, I guess. Saw Chris with his new boy-toy which was weird. Sorry if that's a sore subject," he said, but Peej didn't seem to be listening.

"Don't think he can hear us," I giggled.

"Peej's a twat," Phil said loudly. Peej didn't move. "Peej is a twat!" he repeated, a little more loudly. Still nothing. "PJ eats ass!" he shouted. This time, Peej hurled a pillow across the room, hitting me in the face.

"Ow!" I shrieked, chucking the pillow back across the room, "What did I do?"

"Control your boyfriend," PJ stuck his tongue out.

"No one controls me!" Phil proclaimed, launching himself across the room, landing on Peej's bed where he promptly began to tickle him.

"Oi! Fuck off!" Peej shrieked through fits of laughter. He grabbed a pillow and began hitting Phil with it in a losing effort to get him off. I clenched my sides as I laughed from across the room, watching the hilarious scene unfold.