Chapter 31: A Date featuring Spies

~~~~~~~~~~

"Snowflake, stay still! I'm trying to put the bow on your tail! It'll look cute!" Fei said as she held the white mouse. Said white mouse was squirming, sniffing and licking her hand as she moved her tail away from Fei's hand.

"Squeak!" the mouse pranced away, tilting her head near the bow instead.

"Okay, would you rather it be on your head then?" Fei asked and the mouse squeaked again, "Alright, then I'll do that." Fei adjusted the bow to fit like a headband, before gently putting it on her head. Snowflake walked a bit before squeaking again, moving up from her hand to her arm and standing on her shoulder.

"Yes, a lovely lady you are, Snowflake." Fei muttered as she pet her beloved mouse. It's been days since she's seen her guardians. They had told her the mission they were on would take a while, but nothing could fill the void of sleepless nights and worry. Even with the chuunin exams on her mind, that didn't distract from her guardians. It made things more anxiety inducing. Anbu...high class shinobi, working on missions where one error can end it all. Tough and almost cold shinobi going for the throats of enemies they're tasked to eliminate before time runs out. Natsume's character feels like it doesn't belong in that job, yet, there he is.

'Perhaps,' Fei thought, 'Perhaps I haven't seen that side of Natsume that is capable of killing. Perhaps, I get the privilege of seeing his good side...'

Her mind then drifted to Aite. It feels like he is in his element, he's always been a cold character, even to her in the beginning. Yet, after knowing him more, and just how warm and caring he could be, despite all the reprimands and lectures, it also feels out of character.

"Character shifts on a dime...how do they handle that? Hah, I guess they were trained to be able to do that. But we're all human..." She murmured to herself as she looked out her window. She had taken a break from training that day, shifting away from the monotony of training with Hana and Tama. They were fun, but training on a daily basis was a lot. Sometimes, her mind would shift with self doubt, "I wonder to myself sometimes, Snowflake...I really don't belong here. I have these cool abilities and jutsu, but they're not mine. I ask too many questions, I'm too sensitive. I think about the repercussions this has on them. I wonder if they're okay, and then I wonder if they're hiding those feelings from me, or themselves. I cry myself to sleep because I think about them doing the same...I don't belong here, Snowflake."

The mouse looked up at her, squeaking and rubbing herself on Fei's cheek gently.

"You're the only one I can talk to, Snowflake...I don't think I should share these feelings with them. I can't share this with my friends either because...I don't think they'll understand. I was born with peace...everyone else...were not. So the more I see of this place, the more I see them struggle and get back up...It's all so much." Fei walked towards the mirror she had in her room. Pictures of her with her friends were here, scattered throughout the mirror. Happy. She gently placed a hand on her cheek, sliding it downwards before landing on her heart, "I don't think I belong here, Snowflake. I miss my mom, my dad, and my friends over there. Yet, here I am. Ready to die as a shinobi, battle with my unit because I believe there is something to fight for, because I want to fight for them, with them, my friends, my family...I feel okay dying together that way. And that's the problem. What am I doing, if I'm just a burden hiding amongst those who truly belong here..."

Fei paused as she looked in the mirror. She stared into her own eyes, trying to find answers. There was nothing, just the void of ice and darkness. She closed them before sighing, "There I go again. I'll shut up. Let's start the day over again!" Fei breathed out and smiled, "Yes, let's start over." There's a knock at the door.

"Oh! Coming!" Fei yelled out as she ran towards the door. She screamed into her arm as she saw who it was, "Hibiki!! How'd he know where I live?"

'Open door,' Fei's mind yelled and so she did.