3.(5) The origin of the Fool

3.5

In time the question of Bruce became less important to Diana. She did not forget about what he had done to her, nor did she express it to Joker. But the more that Joker allowed her to be whoever she wated to be, the better friends they became. For she would indeed become much like him, after all. Joker and Diana both denied the existence of love, yet both did not deny the existence of their care for one another. And when one cares as much as they did, it should become hard to find another word to describe it but 'love'. But not only this question had been an inevitable object of their minds, also the fact that Diana deemed him not worthy enough. She thought that if she ever showed her parents that she was with a man even remotely alike him, she would be a disgrace. As if anyone cared about her parents and their opinions. Joker used her as much as she wanted to use him. He made her his object. His doll. It took not too long before the world completely forgot about Diana. And there she was introduced with a new name.

Now it could be relevant to discuss Diana's first murder which was acted out in the name of the Joker, but when discussing beings such as them, it should be most irrelevant. For she felt nothing. Not shame nor pity. The only feeling she had was excitement and power. The first murder she had committed was a "hit-and-run" as they call it, in broad daylight for that matter. There was nothing special about it, nothing but the adrenaline. It was the first time when she looked someone in the eye as she took a life, that she actually felt the considerable power that was in play. And such as Joker, she went on to seek that power, on and on. And she went on in the name of the Joker as he sat in palaces with his countless mistresses. But she minded not his affairs. For in that time, she was almost obsessed with the only act of murder. It seemed like some sort of addiction that she could not stop thinking about.

This may sound as if there was no sort of feeling between the two, that they moved entirely apart from one another, but when they were together. But the question of Diana's revenge had been long on Joker's mind. It bothered him to be misled by such a thing, for he wished not to think of her when she was away. But like Lance, he could simply not help it. And he too, bend to the will of his partner. Though, off course he did not know that she had let go of that idea. And in fact, he wished that once that she had tried to accomplish it; she would immediately let it go. For he knew that all she could do was try.

And though Joker spoiled his new 'flower' with gifts and promises, he could not woo her. And he most definitely could not make her forget Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne. As if he were the most important name in the world. As if Bruce Wayne could withstand against the Joker, as if he could even as much as mock him. He thought so too; Bruce needed to simply disappear. Not that he cared that Bruce had broken Diana's heart, he simply cared that Bruce had stolen Diana's heart. As Diana was his creation, that heart still belonged to Joker, it should have belonged to him. And all Diana could think about was Bruce Wayne. He also understood that when the deed was to be done, she would not succeed. For she had fallen for him too harshly. And he planned to carry out the deed himself but realised that Diana needed to feel as if she avenged herself.

It appeared that Joker's theory of chaos applied only to the world surrounding him. Unlike what he had made belief in the Asylum. For as a worshipper of chaos, Joker would have killed Bruce anytime, and anywhere. But concerning that things were much more complicated, he had to plan things with such delicacy, such attendance that he feared for his principals to fade. But he had his purpose. He knew exactly why it needed to be done. It validated everything.

Diana recognised how careful he was, how much hours he spent in his office, in a cloud of smoke, contemplating. Without speaking a single word. She hated him for the fact that he was so much in denial of this humanity and above that his condition. Diana hated that he could not bring himself to admit that they were so much alike, in all the ways he disliked. He was another narcist who simply wished to be separated from the herd. And if that were not enough, to be separated and worshipped by the herd.