4.(4) Who is afraid of the big black bat?

4.4

As much as Joker and Diana grew apart, the more Diana became in love with John, more in love with the idea of him. Though she became more twisted with every day, for she was constantly trying to find a way to feel. No matter how dangerous, or how horrid it would be. She fought with him regularly, both verbally as physically, when alone and when in the company of others. It had crossed her mind several times that she might leave the Joker and start a new life for herself. However, she could not yet live with the thought of letting him go. She did visit Roman more often and her loyalty towards the Joker was more tainted than ever. All could have seen that there would be a time that Diana would make a name for herself, and that time had come. Sometimes she felt that people feared her foremost, they would rather face the Joker than her. He knew that too, though he liked it not so much (which was why they fought quite often), he did use it to his advantage.

Her role as executioner was truly and remarkably positive to her own image and mood. It is very strange to say, but the act of murder satisfied her. Especially because she wanted to feel. Now, she did not feel when she killed, but she was able to savour the emotions of another person as if she felt it herself. When she killed, she did so slowly and very painfully, for she felt silenced by watching others in pain. It reminded her of the emotions that Joker gave her. While it also reminded her of her own hollowness. For some reason she was able to ignore her own doubt and in secureness, she was able to separate herself from other's. she was able to understand herself as an idea, like John. But an idea is but an empty concept, she could reflect that was others had. She tried and tried her best to feel some kind of sympathy, both affective and cognitive. But even if she felt sometimes that she reflected or 'felt' the emotions and pains her victims went through, when it was done it came down to one thing: she did not care. Perhaps that was because, beside George her victims had always been unknown to her. Perhaps, if she would kill someone to whom she owed social and emotional responsibility, perhaps then she could sympathise. But for all she knew she had never sympathised with George.

And this very reason was what had made her come in contact with the Cat-woman once more. After an incredible amount of time, Joker had finally taken the first few steps of his miraculous plan, which included his deal with Roman Sionis. This Diana was aware of, yet only this she was aware of. The rest she was simply given as tasks, rubbish to dispose of, loose ends, rats and thus kind of vermin. Within only these few weeks Diana had murdered three men and four women. Every murder leading up to a more gruesome one. It did not seem as if any woman could ever be capable of so much pain and hate. But then again, the world knew these not as her crimes yet Joker's crimes for he would always claim a good murder. In fact, Diana had gained quite a many followers who claimed that she was a victim to the Joker, though she knew not of this at the present time. She was not very aware of anything but her deeds and the person for whom she had committed them. For she had done her least bit of research before she would follow any reckless orders. It seemed that Diana was ordered to dispose of people who were involved on juristically account with either Crime boss Maroni or Falcone. She knew not for certain, however she imagined that these people whom she had murdered (who were largely in the employment of the district attorney's office) worked for or had a connection to Falcone. She had never thought to ask Roman about it, however if she had, he would have told her why he wished them dead. For it turned out that the dela that Joker had with Roman was part of a larger and broad story. Up until that time Diana had believed that Falcone and Roman were friends, however it seemed that there was no honour amongst thieves. Falcone had incriminating evidence against both Roman a certain Tony Zuko (an in-law to the Maroni crime family) and Warren the White. It seemed that these men conspired against him. Tony Zuko had always claimed that Falcone had somehow betrayed Salvatore Maroni, though he had no substantial evidence. Paris France who was Maroni's nephew decided not to involve himself in that discussion, thus he was not targeted by Falcone.