13

The front door creaked open, and Sebastian stepped into the cozy living room, his tired eyes scanning the familiar space while calling his wife's name. “Luna, I'm home. Where are you? Luna...” His gaze immediately landed on Luna, who was seated on the floor, surrounded by a flurry of tiny furballs.

“Luna Montgomery!” He shouted as his brows furrowed in confusion and mild disgust as he took in the sight of the playful kittens, their antics drawing a hesitant smile to Luna's face.

He cleared his throat, his voice tinged with disbelief, "Where did these kittens come from?"

Luna looked up, her eyes shining with a mixture of excitement and anticipation. "Oh, I found them outside," she replied, her voice laced with a hint of innocence.

His eyebrows shot up, disbelief giving way to incredulity. "You found them outside?" he repeated, disbelief coloring his words.

She nodded, her smile widening as she watched the kittens tumble over one another, completely oblivious to the tension in the room. "Yes! They were just mewing near the alley, so I couldn't resist bringing them in."

He let out a sigh, shaking his head slightly as he crossed his arms. “You know I'm not a fan of pets. We agreed on that. Luna, those are very dirty, once they grow a little they'll wreck the house, very troubled-some be well-behaved, we don't want those.”

Her expression faltered, a glimmer of disappointment in her eyes. “But they were all alone, and I thought maybe we could give them a home. Don't you understand me? I've wanted a pet since I was young but my family disagreed. Since then I thought, once I have my own house I'll definitely raise a cat or a dog.”

His resolve remained firm, his tone taking on a stern edge. “We can't keep them, and you know it. They'll just cause a mess and more responsibility. That's weird, it's been years we are married, hasn't it been fine not raising anything. Can you wait later to raise one? I'll give a better one.”

“Later.”

She bit her lip, torn between her newfound attachment to the kittens and her desire to keep the peace. “I don't want later. I want it now, Seb. Please let me raise them.”

He hesitated, torn between his frustration and his wife's hopeful plea. He pinched the bridge of his nose, exhaling deeply. “Fine, even though don't want to be stuck with them.”

Relief washed over her, and she nodded eagerly. “Thank you, Seb.”

He nodded curtly, his expression softening just a fraction as he looked at her and the kittens. “Just remember, they're your responsibility. I won't be taking care of them.”

Her smile returned, gratitude and determination etched on her face. "Of course. Thank you for understanding."

As Sebastian reluctantly accepted the temporary addition to their household, he realized that sometimes, a soft heart could find its way even into the most resistant corners.