Chapter TwentSix.

{Flashback} 

    Shaun, I- I can't do this anymore. She said hesitantly. Can't do what? I asked taking a hit of my blunt. It was April 2015, and at the time I was with Aaliyah, before I got with psychotic ass Kia. She stands at 5'5, slim thick. Pretty with a blonde fade. We were together for about 6-months during junior year. It was nice. At least I thought it was. I thought we were vibing. But as you can see, the feeling isn't mutual. At least she cared enough to come tell me face to face. This, us. I'm breaking up with you, Shaun. She said in sad yet caring tone. For what exactly? I asked in a mellow tone and straight face. Well, you didn't do anything wrong, and I do love and care about you. I just- I guess I need some space. She replied straight forward. Okay. I said nonchalantly getting ready to go back into the house. So that's it, that's all you have to say? She asked sternly. I turned around to her and handed her the blunt. If I'm not making you happy, despite everything I do for you. From dates and being there for you, to buying you anything you ask for, then it is what it is. At the end of the day, I want YOU to be happy, even if it's not with me. I said caringly. She hit the blunt a few times then gave it back. I'm sorry, El. She said with a tear rolling down her cheek. I wiped the tear away before kissing her forehead and turning to walk in the house. Don't be, I'll always be here. I said walking in the door and closing it behind me. I went straight to my room. I turned some music on. Walking home by Mac Ayres played. I lit my blunt put the ashtray beside me and laid back across my bed. LED lights faded through colors as it matched that melody and flow of the song. Any time the music came on, my mom knew it was one of two things. Either I'm working on some art, or I'm going through something. She was fine with me smoking, just as long as I was somewhere safe and private. I barely went anywhere unless it was a friend's, or Nyla's house so it was mostly at home, and her parents were fine with her smoking as well, them and my mom are pretty alike when it came to us two. She came and knocked on my room door. I heard y'all out there, you okay, son? She asked reaching for the blunt. Yeah, I'm okay, momma. Just kinda disappointed. I said handing her the blunt. I understand, but I've seen a lot that you did for her. So, if she's not happy or appreciative that's her loss.  She said calmly and empathically after taking a few hits of the blunt and passing it back. What about Nyla? I see how she looks at you when it's just you two around and how she lights up when she's around you, or when your name comes up.

     I know mom. But as far as me and Nyla go, we're just really good friends. I said before hitting the blunt. Yeah okay. She said with a giggle while pulling her fingers through my locs. They were at my shoulder, and she was the only person I'd let do my hair at the time. It's something there between you two, and she really likes you. I can tell you that much.

{Flashback End}

     Boy my mom didn't know how right she was. Even her parents knew. They talked about it with my mom every time they seen each other. Nyla even learned how to twist locs from my mom. Whole time it was for me. I don't know why I didn't see it back in high school. But now we're deeply in love.

     I turned to see Aaliyah walking towards us. I looked down at Nyla to see she was looking up at me concerned because I told her about what happened with Aaliyah the day after it happened. She knew how I felt about her, but she didn't know how I'd react if I ever saw her again. Ny wrapped around the arm of my hand she was holding. You okay, El? She asked in low and caring tone. I could see that she was genuinely concerned, but not worried. Yes, I'm okay mamas. Shit is just a little surprising. I replied locking my fingers with hers. Hey, I thought that was you, how have you been? Aaliyah asked finally getting to us. I've been great, you remember Nyla.  I said pulling Ny in closer to me. Yes, how you doing, girlie? She asked with a smile. Fake ass shit, I thought to myself. I'm good. Nyla replied with a smile. I could look at Ny and sense she wasn't feeling Aaliyah's energy. And I lowkey wasn't feeling it either. She was up to something, and we both could tell. You two are a couple now? She asked. Yes. we answered in unison, then chuckled at each other. We be so in sync with each other. That's great, I just wanna say I heard about your art show and wanted to say congratulations to you. They even still have some of your work in that gallery. We should catch up. She replied hesitantly. Thanks, they bought a few of my pieces to put throughout the gallery. But honestly, there is nothing we need to catch up on. I'm finally happy, and I hope you found whatever it was you left me for and is happy yourself. I confirmed confidently. Well, I'm here if you ever wanna talk, El. She said with a sad look before walking away. You handled that well babe. Ny said with an assuring smile. I just can't go back. I said calmly. I'm not looking for closure, and I feel she thought that was gonna be her way back into my life. Now come on babygirl, can't be late to our first class. 

     We got to the classroom, somewhat made like a theater. Nyla and I sat at the top of the classroom and waited for the professor to come in. As we sat down and got everything we needed out for the day, I see Aaliyah sitting a few rows below from us. Goodmorning ladies and gentlemen. The professor greeted as he walked into the room placing his blazer and laptop case on his desk. My name is Professor Robertson, I will be teaching you everything you need to know about different kinds of designing. From graphic and fashion to web and much more. Today, we're not going to be doing much, and we won't be here long. We're just going to be going over this class, the school, and I'll be telling you a little more about me. So how about we dive in shall we. He said as he began to set up everything. I'm that Ny and I don't run into any problems with Aaliyah being here, and I just want to have a good first year with my girl. But there's no telling what will happen this year, I just gotta stay positive.

Sensei.