38| She's his alone

The whole house was alive with everyone chatting and having a great time, totally into the vibe of the gathering

Nitya was just standing in the corner, staring at the wall like her body was here but her mind was off somewhere else entirely. She really didn't want to come to this gathering, but father's orders dragged her here against her will. Otherwise, she'd be holed up in her room, for sure.

Her mind snapped back to reality when Raj snapped his fingers in front of her eyes. She turned to look at him who was standing right beside her.

"Hey, where's your mind off to? Bored of the party already?" Raj teased.

Nitya shook her head. "No, not at all. The vibe here is actually quite enjoyable."

"You don't look like you're having a blast, though," Raj remarked, offering her a glass of juice. She kept staring at the glass but didn't take it.

"I promise, I haven't tampered with it. Especially not here, surrounded by my parents and relatives," he assured, only to quickly grasp the unintended implication of his words. "I mean, I would never engage in such behavior. That's not who I am."

Nitya took the glass, thanking him warmly, to which he responded with a simple smile. Feeling the need to be more sociable, she decided to strike up a conversation. "Congrats on your first successful project and the promotion."

"Thank you so much. It has always been a dream of mine to be a part of Scindia Industries, and I never imagined attaining such a lofty position and rapid promotion. It's almost like living in a dream."

Nitya's hand froze halfway to her lips, and she turned towards him, eyes widening in surprise. "You work at Scindia's?"

"Yes, I work at their headquarters. Why do you ask?" Raj inquired, curious.

Nitya felt her mood sinking. Try as she might to keep it together, everything around her kept bringing him to mind. Each day felt like a battle against her own feelings, but she kept pushing through, mainly for her parents' sake.

"Nothing much, really. It's just that Scindia's hold such prominence, and I happen to be studying at one of their institutes. So, your connection came as a bit of a surprise to me."

"I understand. You're absolutely correct; their empire has a vast presence throughout the country. Initially, I was incredibly anxious about fitting in there, but my boss, Adwait Scindia, has proven to be remarkably supportive. Despite his undeniable coldness, he displays a remarkable sense of compassion towards those working under him."

Nitya stared at him, disbelief written all over her face. The revelations were piling up, one after another. "Adwait is your boss?" she exclaimed.

"Yes, he currently holds the position of Vice CEO. It won't be long before he's officially declared as the CEO and the sole heir to the empire," Raj disclosed. "But hold on, do you happen to know him?"