seven

gina's pov

"honey, i am home," i heard a very familiar voice say form outside my door. i opened my eyes and got off the bed to open the door to my room. there was only one person it could be.

"dad, you're here!" i said as i hugged my father as son as i opened the door. it was the 4th of july weekend. even if he was not in cousins for most of the summer, 4th of july was one day i knew he would be there. it was a tradition. it has always been about traditions. everyone would be here for the weekend.

"how have you been?" he asked. we spoke almost every day, but it was not the same. i missed him being here.

"it has just been very different. i don't know why, but it has." i tell him most everything. especially since losing mom, dad and i had become close. he might be busy at work or traveling, but that wouldn't stop us from checking in on each other. we both had made some of our own traditions over the years - and neither of us ever missed those.

"now, i might sound a bit too preachy, so bear with me," he said with a little laugh. he coughed and his expression changed - he wanted to say something serious. "change is one of the only things that is constant in life. nothing will ever stay the same forever; it grows and evolves. just like you have."

"isn't that difficult?"

"of course, it is. but that's why you have me. and susannah. and laurel. and all the all the others," he said smiling at me. "now come on. we need to go down for breakfast. the kids are probably waiting for you," he said, getting up from the bed.

we started to walk down towards the kitchen. i knew susannah would be decking out the house for the day. it is always fun to have a 4th of july at the beach house.

"george! when did you reach?' susannah asked as dad and i walked in. she, and the others had seemingly just woken up.

"about 20 mins ago. i wanted to surprise you all. jere let me in," he said, i looked at jeremiah, a bit surprised.

"so that's why you were awake earlier than usual!" steven added, raising his eyebrows.

"always a pleasure," he added laughing.

"i heard from gi here that our little belly is going to be a deb," dad said looking at belly with a smile, he then turned to steven. "i also heard that you are escorting someone."

"to the debutante ball?" laurel asked steven, as she entered the kitchen.

"yes mom. wrap your head around it," steven replied. "shayla is coming today with nicole and gigi. you can meet her then."

"that's wonderful," susannah said. she turned to belly "oh, and don't forget, ms. covington's first dance rehearsal is tomorrow, so, uh, tick-tock."

"i'm asking cam today," belly replied with a smile.

"i don't know my kids anymore," laurel said.

"they are growing up laur," dad said.

"wait, are you wearing makeup?" susannah asked laurel.

"yeah, she's wearing makeup," i said, squinting my eyes a bit as i poured myself a bowl of cereal and at on the chair next to belly.

"mom!" belly said laughing.

"so what? we're having a party," laurel defended herself.

"i'm sure it has nothing to do with john coming to the clam bake?" susannah said, teasing her.

"oh, please. the husbands always come for the fourth," laurel replied.

"he's not your husband anymore," belly said. i laughed silently at it.