CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: the battle of starcourt.

"The Mind Flayer, it built this monster in Hawkins, to stop El, to kill her and pave a way into our world

"The Mind Flayer, it built this monster in Hawkins, to stop El, to kill her and pave a way into our world. " They began to explain everything to Hopper and Joyce. And it almost did. That was just one tiny piece of it." Hopper sighed. "How big is this thing?" He looked around. "It's big. Thirty feet, at least." Jonathan answered. "It sorta destroyed your cabin. Sorry." Hopper looked down. "Okay, so, just to be clear, this... this big fleshy spider thing that hurt El and Cassie, it's some kind of gigantic... weapon? But instead of, like, screws and metal, the Mind Flayer made its weapon... with melted people." He looked at Nancy. "Yes, exactly." She nodded. "Yeah, okay. I... Yeah, I'm just making sure." Cassie patted his back. "Are we sure this thing is still out there, still alive?" Joyce asked. El and Cassie beat the shit out of it, but, yeah, it's still alive." She said as she looked down at the girl in her arms. "But if we close the gate again..."

"We cut the brain off from the body. And kill it."

"Theoretically."

"Yoo-hoo! Yoo-hoo! Okay, this is what Alexei called "the hub." Now, the hub takes us to the vault room." Who even is this man? Cassie thought. "Okay, where's the gate?"

"Right here. I don't know the scale on this, but I think it's fairly close to the vault room, maybe 50 feet or so." He shrugged. "More like 500. What, you're just gonna waltz in there like it's commie Disneyland or something?" Erica sassed. "I'm sorry, who are you?"

"Erica Sinclair. Who are you?"

"Murray... Bauman."

"Listen, Mr. Bunman, I'm not trying to tell you how to do things, but I've been down in that shithole for 24 hours. And with all due respect, you do what this man tells you, you're all gonna die." Cassie chuckled. "I'm sorry, why is this four-year-old speaking to me?"

"Um, I'm ten, you bald bastard!"

"Erica!"
"Just the facts!"

"She's right. You're all gonna die, but you don't have to. Excuse me. Sorry, may I?"
"Please."

"Okay, see this room here? This is a storage facility. There's a hatch in here that feeds into their underground ventilation system. That will lead you to the base of the weapon. It's a bit of a maze down there, but between me and Erica, we can show you the way."

"You can show us the way?"

"Don't worry, you can do all the fighting and the dangerous hero shit, and we'll just be your... navigators."

"No. Nope."

"Well, that settles it. He's gonna die. They're gonna die." Cassie tugged on Max's shirt. "What's wrong?" Max's voice was full of concern. "Can we go for something to drink? I'm thirsty." Max nodded and helped her up. They went into some small shop and sipped on their cokes. "I'm scared." Max looked up at the girl, confused. "I'm scared, because i have this feeling, that not all of us will make it. And that something will go terriblly wrong." Max grabbed her hand. "Everything's gonna be okay. We have each other."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dustin, Steve, Robin and Erica already left and now Joyce said her goodbyes to her sons and walked up to Cassie. "Hey Cassie, be careful, okay?" Cassie nodded and huged Joyce. It was such a weird feeling for Cassie, that some adult cared for her, and was like the parents, she never had. Well she had parents, but they never really cared. Joyce waited for Hopper who was talking with El, but mike interrupted them. "We should probably go." Hopper and El nodded. Max helped Cassie stand and Mike helped El stand. "Mike?" Hopper called out. "Be careful."

They walked outside and sat in the car. "What's wrong?" Cassie asked as Nancy tried to start the engine but failed. "I don't... I don't know. You can't be serious. Come on!" Nancy tried again and again. "Didn't your mom just buy this car?"

"Yes. I'm sure it's fine."

"Did you leave the lights on?"
"No."

"Do we have gas?"
"Yes!"

"Come on!"
"Whoa, whoa, whoa! Just stop, stop! Pop the hood." Jonathan stopped her as he exited the vehicle. "What the hell? The ignition cable's gone." He said as there could be heard an engine revving. "Back in the mall! Back in the mall! Go! Go, go, go!" Nancy shouted and they all ran in the mall.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Scoops Troop, do you copy? Scoops Troop, do you copy? Scoops Troop, do you copy? Scoops Troop, I repeat, do you copy? We're trapped in the mall and in need of emergency transportation. Scoops Troop, do you copy? Billy has found us. He has disabled our car and we are trapped in the mall. Repeat: Billy has disabled our car and we are trapped in the mall. Scoops Troop..." Mike repeated for like a hundreth time and Cassie walked over to Max.
"You're gonna kill him, aren't you?" She looked down. "This is just a precaution, okay?" Nancy said in a soft tone. "And not just against Billy. If he knows we're here, so does the Mind Flayer." Cassie grabbed Max's hand.

After Jonathan said his brilliant idea about stealing the ignition cable from the car that El flung earlier. The adults and the kids minus El, Will and Cassie tried to push it down. "Push!" It didn't work so Cassie got up. "I can do it." All eyes went to her. "Cass, you need to rest." Cassie looked at Max. "But this'll take forever, seriously. Let me try." They eventually agreed and Cassie wrapped red mist around it and pushed it down. Jonathan immediatelly taking the ignition cable.

Max and Mike were watching El, but Cassie felt something and looked up on the ceiling, seeing it. "Max, Mike." They looked up. "Nancy!" Mike shouted as they separated in two groups and hid.

"Griswold Family, this is Scoops Troop! Do you copy? Over! Griswold Family, I repeat, this is Scoops Troop. Do you... Griswold Family, do you copy? Do you copy?! Griswold Family, this is Scoops Troop. Please confirm your safety! Griswold Family, this is Scoops Troop! Please confirm your safety! Are you en route to Bald Eagle's nest? Please confirm your safety!" Cassie heard the walkie talkie, but the monster picked it up and roared into it.

"It's turned away. If we go up the stairs now, we'll make it." Mike broke the silence. "No way, not with El's leg and Cassie's waist." Max argued back. "We have to try." El seemed to have and idea. "There's another way... to get out. Through the Gap." They looked at the monster. "Now." They ran in the Gap, but El knocked something ove in the process, making the monster turn in their direction. Lucas popped a balloon, and both groups ran outside.

When Max, Cassie, El and Mike made it outside, they were met with Billy and another person in the back, Cassie couldn't see who it was. They ran back inside and waited for the elevator to open. Max went to look in the hallway. "Billy. Billy, you don't have to do this. Billy. Your name's Billy, Billy Hargrove. You live on 4819 Cherry Lane. Billy, please, I'm Max, I'm your..." Billy knocked her out and Cassie wanted to use her powers, but Billy was faster and everything went black.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Cassie... Cass... Wake up, please." Cassie woke up to Max's voice and when Max saw her open her eyes, she helped her up and went to wake up Mike. "Mike... Mike. Mike. Mike. Mike. Mike, get up Mike, can you hear me? Mike! Mike! Hey, come on. You okay?" Mike stood up and Cassie looked around. "Where's El?" They ran back inside the mall and froze at the scene. Cassie thought she heard someone behind her so she turned around, just to be met with Veronica. But this wasn't Veronica. Her eyes were black and her veins too. "Veronica." She looked down and saw what she has done. Veronica stanned her, right in the place where the Mind Flayer wounded her before." Cassie tried to gain all of her strengh and used her powers to flung her into a wall. Cassie looked away for a moment, but when she looked back she saw both Veronica and Billy dying in the 'hands' of the Mind Flayer. "Billy!" Max yelled. Cassie stood frozen, but when the Mind Flayer dropped to the ground, she started walking towards Veronica.

She dropped next to her and starte dto shake her shoulders. "Wake up. Veronica, wake up. Come on, Nica. Don't do this to me." Veronica looked her in the eye, but then the life just dissapeared from her. Cassie felt Max hugging her, but Cassie couldn't make herself hug her back. She let Veronica die. She was a monster.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A doctor was treating her stab wound and Max held her hand as Cassie saw Joyce come out of Starcourt. Cassie saw El look around and then at Joyce and Cassie realized it. Hopper is dead. Tears escaped her eyes as she clung onto Max's hand as if it was the only thing keeping her alive. Which she now was.