CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT: the cops.

The officers took them to the Wheeler's and that's where they are now, sitting on a couch

The officers took them to the Wheeler's and that's where they are now, sitting on a couch. "What exactly were you all doing at the lake?" An officer asked them. "We were... We were just going for a walk." Dustin said in a high pitched tone. "A walk? At 9:00 p.m.?" He asked in disbelief. "To the lake. We were gonna take a little swim. Little night swim." Dustin said and his voice might have gone even higher. "Dusty. Someone was just murdered there. Yeah, we... we didn't realize that until we got there."

"That's why we didn't swim." Lucas butted in. "And Nancy, was she with you at this night swim?" Mrs. Wheeler asked them. "No." Cassie denied. "Yes." Dustin said at the same time and Cassie glared at him. "We're not sure." Lucas said. "She was there. Then she left. It's all a little confusing." Dustin tried to explain. "That's when you guys came." Lucas said.

"Right. Then they dared us to say what we said." She pointed to herself and Cassie."About the killer." Max added and Cassie nodded. "You're lucky you didn't get shot." Mr. Wheeler said and Cassie glared at him. Is he fucking stupid? Cassie thought. "Have you had any contact with Eddie?" The chief asked them and they all shook their heads.

"That psycho... freak killer?" Dustin asked. "God, no." Lucas shook his head. "Nope. Absolutely not." Cassie denied. "No. We haven't heard from him." Max added too. "We barely know the guy." Dustin denied again. "Who?" Lucas asked. "Oh, that's a bunch of bull." Erica walked towards them. "Erica!" Her parents scolded her. "I mean, you realize they're lying. The whole couch is on fire." She sassed. "Erica." Her parents scolded again. "Just the facts." She defended.

"Are you lying to these policemen, Dusty?" Dustin's mom asked in disbelief. "No." He quickly denied. "Lying to cops is a crime, son." Lucas' dad reminded him. "I'm not lying." He put his hands up in defence. "The fire is consuming us." Erica talked again and Cassie wanted to kill her right now. "Threaten them with a little jail time. Maybe that'll loosen their lips." Mr. Wheeler said and everyone started arguing.

"Shut up!" Everyone finally stopped arguing. "We're gonna try a more civilized approach here. One at a time! You first." He pointed at Max. "What? Why me?" She protested. "Follow me." He didn't listen. "I'm not even in Hellfire." She protested again. "Do I need to cuff you?" Max looked at Cassie, who shrugged. "Up. Chop-chop. Let's go." And with that Max left.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cassie walked out of the bathroom to find the boys and Erica in the kitchen. "Erica, you have no idea what you're talking about." Lucas told his sister. "No, she doesn't, yet she raises an essential question. How did Watergate open up? Only two gates have opened, so far as we know. One by El, one by the commies. But it's not the commies or El this time, so it... Holy shit. Wait, wait, wait, wait." Dustin trailed off. ""Wait, wait, wait," what?" Cassie asked him.

"There's one thing we've never understood. Which is why Vecna's killing people. What's his motive? Killing teens? It always just seemed too random. Too prosaic. On top of that, how does the Mind Flayer figure into all this? Maybe this is it. This is the answer." That's until Mrs. Wheeler disturbed them. "We have Coke, Sprite, Dr. Pepper." They walked out of the kitchen.

"Okay, just hear me out. How did El open the Mother gate? She contacted the Demogorgon. With psychic contact. Just like..." Dustin trailed off. "Vecna when he casts his spells." Cassie realized. "Exactly. So, what if, with each kill, he's not simply killing them, he's making a powerful psychic connection with his victims? A connection powerful enough to rip a hole in the fabric of time and space."

"He's opening more gates." Cassie realized. "Bingo. Why would he be opening gates?" Dustin asked them. "To take over the world." Lucas said. "Who do we know that wants to take over the world?" He asked once again. "The Mind Flayer." Lucas and Cassie said once again. "So if the Demogorgon was just his foot soldier, Vecna's his five-star general. A five-star general with the power to open gates." Dustin stated. "Holy shit. That was incomprehensible. You lost me at "Mother gate." Please be kind. Rewind." Erica told him and Dustin sighed. "Okay, so remember the gate?" He asked the girl. "Oh, no. I blocked that out." She sassed.

He explained it to the girl once again. "That brings us to the question you first raised. How and why is there a gate at Lover's Lake? Let's analyze. What do Eleven and Vecna have in common"

"So our working theory is that Vecna makes remote contact from his attic. We don't know why. We assume he can do it from anywhere. Are you even listening to me?" Cassie looks over at Erica, just to see her watching something. "I'm listening. It's just... You said you followed Vecna through lights, right? Yeah, why? Because I think he's here." They all looked up to the ceiling and Dustin began to read the Morse Code.

"S."

"O."

"S."

"Hey, uh, remember when I said they wouldn't be stupid enough to go through Watergate? I overestimated them." He stated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They made a plan, so here they are. Stealing Holly's toy. "Sorry, sorry, sorry." Lucas and Cassie apologized. "For your understanding." Erica gave her some candy. "Okay, you guys seeing this?" He shouted as Lucas plugged it in. "We're not moving it. but we're gonna unplug it. Stand by. Yank it. Okay, try it now." The light brimmed as someone on the other side spelled hi. "Hi!" Cassie shouted.

"S... T..."

"U..."

"...C... K."

- "Stuck."

"They're stuck in the Upside Down. Uh, you can't get back through Watergate?"

"G"?

"U... A... R."
"Guarded. Okay. Uh, Watergate's guarded. We think we have a theory that can help with that. We think Watergate isn't the only gate. That there's a gate at every murder site. Okay. Seriously? How many times do I have to be right on the money before you trust me?" Dustin shouted.

They made a plan, to bike to Eddie's trailer and save them from the Upside Down. Cassie walked down the stairs and waved Max over. She came and Cassie explained the plan. The went to Nancy's room and they all jumped out of her window. They took the bikes and Erica took a pocketknife. "Hey! Excuse me! No, get back here!" The chief yelled at them .

"Let's go! Let's go!" Lucas yelled as Erica crouched down in front of the car. "I guess it's just a minor misdemeanor." She sliced the tire open. "Hey! No!No!" An officer kept yelling. "Lucas! Lucas, Erica!" Their parents shouted at them. "Dusty! Dusty! Dusty!" His mom shouted at him as they biked away.