74. His Waning Soul

Previously...

Zidian released into a whip which clung to his skin, wrapping itself around its master. The small body which kneeled on the ground burned with purple flames. The tattoo on his shoulders which marked his bond with the demon faded into dust as the demon beside him burned. 

Third Person POV

"What is he doing?" The girl asked worried.

"He's breaking our bond by force."

"But why are you burning?" Her eyes widened in realization as she covered her gasp with her hands.

"When you break the bond, both sides are affected..."

Golden shackles revealed itself around his wrists and a bright lightning shot down on him. The shackles cracked into pieces and turned into dust just like the demon whose figure slowly vanished.

Jiang cheng's fingers slowly turned into ashes and dissipated with the surroundings. Jiang cheng's eyes slowly closed as the last tear drop fell to the ground. He felt the darkness pull him down as his breath shortened and his heartbeat slowed to a stop.

The two lost souls had already left, leaving behind the waning soul.

Jiang cheng let out his last breath, his body weak and the golden core in him, burning to be used. But Jiang cheng did not want to rely on someone else's core. No someone who does not wish to be related to him in any way. 

And so it went by, his life, his soul. There was no more life, no more misery. Only a dead soul waiting to be sent off.

"He- he's not breathing..."

"Wanyin!"

.

.

.

Suddenly a bright blue light ran through the empty soul. Filling it with chi. The heart which took its last beat, pumped again vigorously.  Pumping fresh blood all over the body. His chest heaved up and down, taking in the air.

Jiang cheng's eyes flashed open. He let out a heavy breath and patted his chest. He blinked a few times trying to adjust to the sudden brightness. His head was filled with different questions. 

"Didn't I die? I'm sure I broke the bond though. How am I going to die now-" He heard a loud thud next to him. He turned his head to the side, and he immediately felt a burning sensation in his heart. After going thorough all his memories, he wasn't pleased to see Wei wuxian. 

He took a look around his surroundings and sighed in relief after realizing he was in the courtyard of Lotus Pier. But he quickly moved back, holding his hand near his chest when he felt someone reach out.

He slowly lifted his head to look at Wei wuxian's hurt face. 'I hurt him again.'

He swiftly stood up when he saw Lan wangji walk towards them. His walls raised up high as he stood firm and strong. Like he didn't just die seconds before.

The three stood still in an awkward silence. 

Wei wuxian couldn't even joke around with his husband. The situation was so intense he felt nauseous. His free and joking nature was not meant for such situations. The complicated relationship with Jiang cheng made it so hard for him to stay around him. And to add to that, every time he looked at the Jiang, he'd only be reminded of the past. He wished to say a lot, but the words were stuck in his throat. It had always been like this. Every time he looked at the other, he would ignore him or avoid him. But after seeing him suffer he couldn't just ignore him.

All their attention was caught by Lan Xichen who exited the room with a tray in his hand. When Xichen looked at Jiang cheng, his eyes light up like a lantern. Though he looked very calm, his heart raced. He placed the tray down and looked at Jiang cheng again.

"How do you feel Wanyin? are you uncomfortable anywhere?" His sweet and calm voice comforted the Jiang who visibly relaxed in his presence. 

"F-fine." said Jiang cheng with a hoarse voice. 

Lan xichen took his hand and checked his pulse before smiling. "Good, very good. Everything is fine." Lan xichen smiled pleased with the Jiang's pulse. He was dead terrified when the same pale hand refused to pulse. 

Before Jiang cheng broke the bond,

The three sat in front of Hui zhong and another guy who dressed in black with one purple cloth covering his mouth showing him different from the dark.

Lan Xichen and Hui zhong shared information and filled the other two will all the information they didn't know. 

When Wei wuxian heard it all, he was petrified. Though Lan wangji felt a little bad for thinking bad about the Jiang he refused to listen to his heart.

Hui zhong introduced the strange man as black lotus. The said man soon disappeared to do his duty after giving them the needed info.

Hui zhong showed them the talisman which he picked up from the forest.

"This is the demon's soul. Since he didn't take over Sect leader Jiang's soul yet, if we could destroy it, then sect leader should be able to come back."

Hui zhong then went to Jiang cheng's study and brought a big wooden box. 

He pushed around in a pattern and the box opened revealing many letters, amulets and some small bottles. 

Wei wuxian looked at the box reminiscing the past. It looked so similar to the box Jiang Fengmian had. "What is this for?"

Hui zhong, "Sect leader already knew something like this would happen so, he prepared everything in advance."

Lan Xichen, "But wouldn't it be hard since the illusion would be there?"

Hui zhong, "The illusion only appeared because you were all present. Pardon my rudeness but, everything would have gone smoothly if you all didn't come."

The three finally understood why there was no one in the Pier. Though Lan xichen felt guilty for ruining their plan, he didn't bother much with it as what's done is already done.

Wei wuxian, "So how do we help?"

Hui zhong, "We have to set up a soul breaking array and destroy this talisman. After that, sect leader's body will leave the demons grasp and we just have to retrieve his soul with this amulet. Finally, we give him these potions and the bond would completely break."

"But..." Hui zhong taught on how he should deliver his thoughts when Wei wuxian urged him, "What is it?"

"Since the plan has been affected, I'm afraid the demon would have done something different."