Chapter 189

February 21st, 1999, Sunday.

Shinto Town, Fuyuki City, Hot Pot Restaurant.

The air conditioning was turned on and the heat it produced effectively separated the chill from the outside air, creating a steamy atmosphere.

"Are you considering writing a thesis on the Eternal King? It's no surprise you came to me. After all, I had the longest contact with Saber, who was the King of Knights during the Fourth Holy Grail War. But before we start, let me ask you something. Are you certain that your father has told you everything about the Fourth Holy Grail War, Matou Shinji?"

"Yes, Mrs. Emiya."

"Does this child from the temple also know about the Fourth Holy Grail War?"

"Yes, please don't forget that there is also a great sage at the Ryudou Temple."

"Alright then... What is it that you want to ask?"

Sitting at the hot pot restaurant, Shinji took out his notebook and looked at Irisviel. "Firstly, does this Eternal King really exist?"

"Well... the Einzberns had originally wanted to summon the Eternal King. To do so, we had been preparing for sixty years and finally unearthed the legendary holy sword sheath in Cornwall. However, in the end, we summoned Saber as the King of Knights instead."

Recalling the past, Irisviel nodded and said, "Before heading to the battlefield, Saber often spoke of the Eternal King. In fact, she is the reason why my daughter developed the habit of taking notes."

"Is it because the King of Knights had the habit of recording the words of the Eternal King?" Shinji asked.

She looked surprised and asked, "How did you know that?"

Issei, who was beside her, chimed in, "Mrs. Emiya, anyone who has heard the story of the Eternal King would know this. The 15 Knights of the Round Table under him were known to record the words of the Eternal King. Additionally, one of the quotes from the Eternal King, unearthed from Ireland, is even exhibited at the British Museum."

"That's true," she nodded.

"So, Mrs. Emiya, how does the King of Knights view the Eternal King?" Shinji asked.

"Well... She holds him in high regard and won't tolerate anyone insulting him," she replied. "In fact, Saber has a great character, but there are three things that can easily make her angry."

"What are those three things?"

"The first is insulting the name of Arthur, the second is touching the handwritten book she carries with her, and the third is insulting the knights," she explained.

"Why would she also be angered by insulting the knights?"

"Because the eight tenets of the knights were all passed down from the mouth of the Eternal King. Although these tenets have been changed beyond recognition by others later on... She would be very upset if anyone denied or slandered the knights."

She then asked, "Has your father told you about the Holy Grail War?"

Shinji nodded, "Yes, I am aware of the general aspects of the Holy Grail War."

"Then you must also know about the first night of the war, right?"

Shinji nodded in confirmation.

Recalling the events, she continued, "On the first night, at the dock in Shinto Town, the Servants had gathered. Saber had originally planned to protect me and withdraw. However, Caster was lured out by Archer and insulted the Fianna Knight, who was also a Lancer. Saber didn't initially intend to pay attention to the matter, but Caster continued to mention the word 'knight', which made Saber unable to ignore it."