Chapter 79

Shirou watched as Diarmuid faded away, then he turned to face Kayneth.

"Do you want me dead?" Kayneth asked, his voice laced with curiosity.

"You've tried to kill me twice using Diarmuid," Shirou replied. "Can you explain why? I may have been weak at the time, but there was no need for you to single me out and ignore other Masters, was there?"

Kayneth responded, "The success of my attempts to eliminate you is of no importance. The Holy Grail War lost its significance for me the moment I first set eyes on you. Your physical body, your ability to fuse with a Servant, renders you an exceedingly rare and valuable asset, a treasure that most magi, myself included, would be eager to obtain."

"Is that so?" Shirou's eyes blazed with flame as he gazed at Kayneth.

"Shua!"

The projected sword shot forward and plunged into Kayneth's gut.

"Pu--"

Kayneth retched, his hand pressed against his wound as blood poured out. The sword blade was slick with his life's essence.

"Drip, Drip."

"I will never forgive you. I will always despise you. So, never appear before me again." With those words, he unfurled his dark wings and took flight, departing and leaving Kayneth behind.

"Professor..." Waver approached, worry etched on his face.

"Two fools... no... three fools... no, no, no... there's also me! Hahaha! Excellent! Four fools!" Kayneth laughed madly, his cackle turning into a cough as blood spewed from his mouth. He then used magecraft to heal himself.

"What are you still doing here?" Kayneth barked at Waver. "Get out of here, you fool! Use that power and run!"

"What--?" Waver was taken aback.

Power?

The realization dawned on him, and he quickly mounted Bucephalus. Turning back to Kayneth, he said gratefully, "Thank you, Professor."

Kayneth sniffed dismissively.

Waver rode away, leaving Kayneth behind.

Kayneth gazed as Waver departed, his whisper carried by the wind, "What exactly lies at the end of your dream, foolish magus?"

He clutched his chest and crawled to the side of the sleeping Sola. The harsh lines of his face softened as he gazed down at her.

"Sola, my dear Sola..." he whispered.

Kayneth reclined beside her and gazed at the sky. It brought back memories of when he was a young boy, staring up at the sky in wonder. Back then, he stood at the peak, too high for anyone to reach, surrounded by ignorance. But now, he had someone beside him.

In the sky, he saw several transport planes flying by and tiny figures jumping out with parachutes.

"Something is going to happen... are the Holy Church and the Mage's Association able to keep it under control?" he wondered.

Even Kayneth wasn't certain, because the military had now become involved.

...

"Caster! Caster! ... Fujimura Shirou...!"

The voice calling out to him came from behind him, and Shirou halted mid-air, turning to see Waver riding on horseback.

"Is there something else, Waver?" he asked.

Waver dismounted from his horse, looking at Shirou with a serious expression. He implored, "Caster... Although it's audacious of the Master of Rider to ask, I beg of you to lend me your power."