Chapter 17: Hide & Seek (Pt. 1)

"I'm sorry, where did you say we're going again??" Aubrey asks.

"Otherworld." Mari puts her finger in front of her mouth to shush her, jokingly.
"Huh?"

"You'll see :)"

They were almost at the park, walking north towards the tree stump.

Kel holds the sheet in his hand, turning it to the side. "Fuck this. I'm not good at puzzles. The first clue for the A key is 'A forgotten memory'. But we already got that one, so the one for B is... uhm. 'A misunderstood Boss'. What does that mean?"

Aubrey stomps her foot and snatches the sheet from his hand. "You're looking at it wrong....oh."

Basil turns towards Mari. "What does it mean, Mari?"

Silence. The only things heard are the crunching of leaves under their feet and heavy breathing.

Mari looks away, sighing. "See... I forgot to tell you... but I can't come with." She finally confesses.

"What do you mean by that??" Hero questions curiously.

"Since the uhm... 'prologue' has officially begun, I can't come with you guys anymore."

"What? Why-?" Kel kicks at the rocks in his path.

"'Cause that's just how this world works. I stay at the picnics, and you four go out and find keys. I can give you advice to the best of my abilities, but I just can't come with."

They arrive at the playground, but Aubrey stops before reaching the entrance. "Did Omori tell you that? Just whose side are you on anyway?" She annoyingly scorned.

Mari goes quiet, her face turning a tad bit red.

"Don't you ever... associate me with that.... monster..." she whispers, too scared to actually speak her mind.

Basil frowns, while Aubrey waits for an answer.

"I'm.. just trying to help." She says softly. "I'm not on his side."
Aubrey's teeth grind, as she lowers her head, hair covering her face.

Basil starts to quiver nervously.

"This whole thing seems like a trap to me." Aubrey angrily mumbles. "This whole situation is fucking sketchy."

"Aubrey! She's just trying to help!" Kel snaps at her, but Aubrey storms off onto the playground. But something stops her in her trac-

"Hello there! I haven't seen you around here."

Aubrey yells in shock, falling to the floor and onto her knees. "Shit man...." She rubs her leg and glances up, "Who the fu-"

Aubrey then see one of the kids that was playing with the tetherball, holding out her hand to her. A girl with short purple hair that covered her face, with bright red glasses and green skin. She was wearing a blue hoodie, and had a long tail. "Dude! Are you really that jumpy? Chill! I'm Berly. You? And your friends?"

Aubrey is silent, staring at Berly.

Why does she remind me a lot of...

Aubrey's face immediately flushes, and she turns away awkwardly. "I don't need your help." She says in protest, getting up from the ground.

Berly, confused, ignores her and asks the question to the rest of the group. "Mari, who are these guys?" She puts her hands back in her pockets.

"Oh! I guess I forgot to introduce everyone!" Mari nervously chuckles, "The one you just scared is Aubrey," she points to the each of them. "Basil, Hero, and Kel."

Hero leans towards Mari, "I don't think we have time for this..." she puts a hand in front of his face in response, and continues,

"So! What were you doing Berly? We were just on our way!"

"Oh..." Berly rubs her shoe in the dirt. "I thought we'd play a game of hide and seek. You promised for today..!"

Mari exaggeratedly puts her hands on her face in 'shame'. "Oh no...! Guess we'll have to play before going to Otherworld!" She says sarcastically, while she grins.

"Grr.." Aubrey, pissed, walks back towards the group.

Hero puts his hand on Aubrey's shoulder and whispers, " She's trying to help, just trust her, please." She scoffs in response, but doesn't want to argue.

"Yay!" Berly cheers, "HEY! Van!! Did you hear that?! Hide and seek! Get the straws!!!" She yells at Van, as he nods.

Basil stares at the dirt. He anxiously picks at his finger nails.

w a n n a p l a y a g a m e . . . ?

Kel pats his back, "You okay, bro?"

"Yeah.. yeah! I'm okay." A lie slips out of his lips.

He didn't like this.

But he just didn't know why.

........................................................................
"Okay! You guys know the rules!! The one who gets shortest straw, gets to find everyone!" Berly cries out joyfully, pacing around everyone.

   Each of the group is handed a straw, and Basil stares at his, shaking.

   Shit, it's so short...

   His name is called out, just like he expected.

   "Basil! You're it!!" Berly points to the pole, "Just go put your face on it and count to sixty!"
Guess I have no choice.

------------------------------------------
A/n: I'm soooo sorry I had to split it into 2 parts:( I really wanted not to, but all my motivation went down the drain. Sorry =<
I'll post the next part either today or tomorrow, it depends. I hope you guys enjoyed this part tho. ^^ <3
Anyways, dms are open •>• see ya!