Special day

"Alexander!" He heard his father yell for him, he turned to see his father make his way towards him. "What do you think you are doing?"

"What does it look like I'm doing?" He asked, putting his hands to his side. His pants and shirt were dirty from falling over, his middle length hair was a mess from not being tied up, and his hands were covered in dirt and some cuts that he failed to realise were bleeding. He pointed his pointy end of his sword at his father. "Training." 

Cy just stared between the two, feeling awkward all of a sudden. He was surprised Alexander wasn't terrified of his father, but then again. Alexander used to be very... uncontrollable and stubborn, guess he still is.

"Get back inside the castle. I can't believe you are pointing your sword at me," Father growled, standing at the end of Alexander's sword.

Alexander put down his sword, staring at his father's angered eyes. "I've been studying for the past four months, not even training for thirty minutes. Can't I have today off for an hour at least?"

Father sighed heavily. "No, it's not about studying. I have to discuss something with you. In private," he stared past Alexander to glance at Cy.

"Oh sure. I'll just go.." Cy said, grabbing his sword that Alexander managed to flip it out of his hands. He then made his way to the garden, not knowing anywhere else to go, but he did know where he was meant to be at. 

"Glad he's gone. How long do I have to be 'friends' with him?" Alexander asked as he turned to look at his father.

"Until you end up dead. Now let's get going," Father spun around, led the way towards the castle.

Alexander rolled his eyes and followed beside him, his head held higher than his father's. He didn't mind Cy, but he doesn't find the idea of being 'friends' with him okay, they were better off as enemies. Of course, Cy seems to like the idea of them as friends, even coming to him unannounced. Alexander did feel a bit bad that their 'friendship' was a lie on his part, he was just doing what his father wanted.

"Today is a special day," Father muttered, now lowering his head, staring down at the floor. "A very special day indeed."

"Don't tell me I'll be crowned king today, I'm not prepared yet," Alexander joked. Giving his sword to one of the servants. 

"No, not yet," Father spoke, putting his hands behind his back, looking ahead with his head held high. "I'm surprised you don't know what it is today."

He raised a brow. He remembers everything important and he knows for a fact that nothing important is happening today, unless it was an unexpected meeting or visitor. "What's happening today?"

Father stayed silent, making Alexander worry even more.

It's only been six months since the death of Alexander's mother, and his relationship with his father isn't the best, but it's slowly improving. He understands that grief affects many differently. Alexander was in denial but now he.. ignores it, and his Father also ignores it and focuses more on the kingdom and Alexander's study. 

They entered the dining room, Alexander saw a lot of people he knew all seated, even Cy was there. They looked up at them, smiles on their faces, then they all stood up.

"Happy birthday!" They all cheered.

His father's birthday took Alexander aback as they never celebrated birthdays. They normally never celebrated birthdays. They considered it a waste of time and Alexander only had a few birthdays.

"Oh happy birthday, father," Alexander smiled at his father, patting his shoulder. "How old are you now? Sixty-four?"

Father chuckled, shaking his head. "No, it's not my birthday, and I'm only forty-six. It's your birthday," he smiled, his eyes shining bright.

Alexander's eyes widened, he turned to look at the people who all came to celebrate him. Not for winning another medal, not for him reading a thousand books, they all are here to celebrate him on his special day. 

"Happy birthday, Alexander," Father smiled, patting his son on the back. "You're now eighteen years old."

Alexander smiled back at his father. "Thanks father," He said as he went to celebrate with his friends.

The last time he had a birthday party was probably when he was eleven or twelve years old, it was only with family members, maybe some others he didn't know. It was small, but he was okay with it.

Now he was happy, he did wish his mother was there to celebrate with them, but he's happy that his father did this just for him.

Alexander glanced over at his father who was eating cake, laughing with his friends. Maybe he's not as bad as he thought, Alexander smiled to himself and ate his cake.