Take care

As the gates opened, all he could see were trees, tall and mysterious. People rarely exit the kingdom's gates, only the farmers and soldiers are allowed to. The sky darkens as night slowly creeps its way towards the sky. He'll have to travel at night, hopefully surviving.

"Alexander," he turned to see his father, standing behind him, a red fabric in his hands, with a crown placed on top of it. "These are for you, it's a gift. Keep them."

Alexander took the fabric and the crown. He unfolded the red fabric, it was a royal cape, his father's cape. "Father, I don't think I can accept this, this is yours," he handed it back to his father.

Father just pushed it to him. "I am giving it to you. It's yours now, my son. Along with the crown, those are yours to keep."

Alexander nodded. He put the mantle on; it was long and dragged a bit on the ground; he placed the crown on his head. "I promise to treasure these gifts, father."

Father then hugged his son, hugging him tightly. "I know you will."

Alexander hugged him back, feeling tears in his eyes. "I-I love you, father," he muttered. He felt as if he hadn't been saying that a lot to him.

"I love you too, my son," Father said as they pulled away from each other. Father patted his shoulders. "Take care, my son."

Alexander nodded. "I will," he wiped his tears, he turned to his horse and carriage.